Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Life from a different angle

I saw some serious oddness this morning. I was on my way to work and driving through a busy intersection. I only got a quick glance at the oddness, but it was long enough for me to think, "hmmm ok, you don't see that every day". By the time I got to work, I'd forgotten about it.

After work, I drove through that intersection and was almost at the next intersection (obviously travelling in the opposite direction to what I was in the morning). Lo and behold, the oddness was there again.

It was a guy going along in a wheelchair. He had a broken left arm and left leg. His clothes were fairly non-descript; blue jeans, t-shirt, black boots and a cap. Apart from scruffy hair, he looked relatively respectable. So what was so odd?

He was pushing himself along the footpath with his one good leg........backwards.....uphill.

I gave him kudos for navigating the crossing and traffic island in the morning, but pushing himself uphill, backwards in the afternoon was impressive.

And I thought......wouldn't ya just get a taxi?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah, stupid blogger! I hope this doesn't show twice...

That is strange, but very innovative of him. I'm not sure I would have figured out the bit about turning around backwards to push myself up. I'd probably spend 5 hours laboring along trying to pull myself up with one leg, heh.

That reminds me of the time I was driving to work and passed a man in a motorized wheel chair driving along... in the road... like a car. Ummm, okay?

People do the strangest things!

3:45 am  
Blogger SJ said...

I wonder if he goes downhill backwards too.

6:41 am  
Blogger Sara said...

Sounds like me... skiing.... don't ask.

10:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home