Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Hair on Fire

It’s been a crazy time in my world lately. Work has been insanely busy, although I feel like I’ve achieved hardly anything at all in the last few weeks. I know I’ve done a lot, but I seem to be constantly putting out fires and fixing old work when I should be starting new work.

From now until at least the second week of December, I will have hardly a moment’s peace. Not too much of a bad thing, because it’ll go quickly. But I realize I’ve put incredible pressure on myself in trying to get my Cert IV completed at the same time. If I’d have known exactly what was involved in completing it, I wouldn’t have chosen my busiest time of year to go ahead with it. I always said I liked a challenge, but this is looking to be bordering on ridiculous now. In any normal job (see: if you’re not working in a place that shuts down for 2 months over Christmas), I wouldn’t be so pressured. Working here, I am. It’s a long story. And I’m tired.

Yesterday I had to consciously bring myself back to a sense of sanity. I’ve been looking at the entire picture and bundling work and my coursework and my assessments and all the various deadlines into one big mind-f*ck. I’ve turned into a crazy person and dear Lord, the amount of chocolate and garbage food I’ve been eating! Rid-IC-u-lous!

Anyway, I’m more at peace today and feeling like I can tackle things if I just concentrate on a day and a task at a time. I went to my ACoA meeting last night and was able to vocalize a lot of what I’d been thinking and, in the process, obtained a better sense of clarity about it all. In doing so, I also inadvertently gave a sense of comfort to someone else. To hear that, was a humbling moment. It was nice.

Outside of work, a ton of stuff is going on too. Good stuff. Positive stuff. Hopefully I’ll have more time later today or tomorrow to talk about it, because I really need to get it down and out of my head.

I spent last Friday to Sunday with my girlfriends on our annual weekend away. Normally, our weekends involve lots of drinking, dancing and generally making fools of ourselves. This year, we went to the beach and we spent most of the time watching girl movies (Only You, Love’s Brother etc) or just bumming around in the sun. Life has been hectic for all 5 of us lately. None of us had the energy to misbehave. Next year will be different. It’ll be our tenth annual weekend away and we’re going on a cruise! Woohooo!

T, the boy from Perth arrives tomorrow night and he’ll be here till Monday night. The time has flown by so fast and I feel like I’m completely under-prepared for him to be here. It hasn’t been the usual rushing around and fixing myself up, as you’d expect. I am going to the hairdresser this afternoon though, but I’d need to regardless because I’m starting to look like I have a racing stripe down the middle of my head and that’s a pretty unbecoming look at the best of times, especially when you’re blonde. No, the rushing around I’ve been doing is things like buying maps so we don’t get lost, pumping up the tyres on my car, checking my oil and water, getting my car washed and weeding my garden. Mmm, I’m an unromantic chick sometimes!

I can’t really describe how I feel about the interpersonal side of things. I’m excited and I have some expectations, but I haven’t let myself get caught up in that a whole lot. I just don’t want to think about it. Better to just see how things play out in their own time. Not long till I find out anyway.

I have another major piece of news too, but I’m going to leave details of that until I can actually post on line, rather than via email, because I can’t edit my emailed posts at the moment, since I can’t get onto blogger at all except to read. I’ll just say for now that I’ve started the ball rolling on something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and I’m going to follow through with it and make it happen. It’s different to what I’d originally planned, but I know it’s what I’m supposed to be doing.

Ok, that’s it for now, I think. Gotta get back to work!

Just a note also to say that I'm doing my best to work out how to beat the net fascists who've determined that no more fun is allowed at work (well, really they just have no clue what they're doing and are subsequently screwing up our internet access). I can read peoples' blogs, but I can't open or respond anywhere where someone uses pop-up comments. Risible Girl, I can't get onto your blog at all. :-( Right now, I also can't even email posts to my blog, which I suspect has a lot to do with me not being able to access blogger.com. This is gonna test my ability to get around the 'system', but we'll see how we go!

2 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Well, you haven't missed much on my blog, except maybe the Nobel Peace Prize I won the other day....

heh.

2:09 am  
Blogger thyst said...

Best of luck with your certification. But remember to have some fun during this time... blow off steam and stress. I guess that's what visits from boys are for ;-)

1:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home