Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Unconventional

That's how one of the women here at work just described me. I guess she's right, but I never thought anyone would actually say it to me. At first, I was a bit annoyed and taken aback, but like I said, she's right.

I'm sitting here with my hair in two ponytails, like Ellie May from the Beverly Hillbillies (although my hair is straight and I don't have that fluff thing going on), I have a cropped black tshirt on, a pair of tight jeans (yes, I found a pair that fits!!), no makeup, and no shoes. That's right. I'm at work, looking completely inappropriate and I have no shoes on.

I was wearing a pair of clog type shoes, with a leather upper, but having tripped down an escalator last night (accident prone geek!) and having my toes practically ripped off my foot, my shoe, unbeknownst to me, broke. It came completely apart as soon as I got to work - of course.

So this woman, from the art department, came to take my shoe away and see if they could glue it back together again. How she found out about my predicament, I don't know. I asked the maintenance guys to fix it.

It was bound to happen, though. Late last year, the other shoe broke and I had to leave it here overnight as the guys in the woodworking department glued it and kept it in a vice to hold together.

Anyway, it amused me to be called unconventional, now that I think about it. In relation to the other women who work here, I definitely am. They're, for the most part, all over 50, two incomes, empty nesters who don't necessarily have to work, and who all live in the right suburbs, with the right neighbours, on the right side of the river.

Me? Well, obviously, I come to work looking like I'm about to have a day riding horses on the farm, I live in the 'wrong' suburb, on the wrong side of the river, I'm not interested in who's been seen with whom, or what colour is the next black, or who backstabbed whom at the lunch table. I hang with the tech guys at lunch and we eat $5 meals from the asian take-away. I love gadgetry and all things technical and I couldn't care less about nailpolish and manicures.

I don't fit in. And I like it like that!

I'm unconventional? I can handle that. It's a compliment.

Oh, and I never saw Ellie May in just the same way after Erika Eleniak burst out of that cake in Under Siege.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home