Friday, February 11, 2005

Interview #1

Just for a good impression, I turned up late. Of course, all week, the traffic has been fine and I've gotten a good run home. As it turned out, I left work a few minutes early, got around the corner, and the traffic was s.t.o.p.p.e.d. I rang and said I'd probably be a few minutes late and they were cool with it, but I hate being late for interviews.

The guy looked not unlike Mr Miyagi from the Karate Kid, but without the facial hair. The position is really a pretty basic, straightforward secretarial role....something I could do with my hands tied behind my back in addition to a whole other job. In between asking me about my family (siblings? what do they do? where are they? etc), he told me about the job.

He has no computer in his office at all. I found this rather unsettling. Then he told me he doesn't know how to use one at all and can't even send email. He hand-writes everything and his secretary is to type it all out. Ok. He's the MD of a technology distributor. Hmmm.

The hours totally suck. It's 8pm to 6pm, with a possibility of it being closer to 7pm Mon-Fri. Can I just say a big, emphatic NO.

He asked me what salary I was looking for and I told him the truth (knowing I might have to resuscitate him). "Well, that's a bit on the high side." Yes, thought you'd say that. "What's the lowest you'd accept?" Now this is the clincher. You go lower and you're basically admitting you don't think you're worth the money you're after. You don't go lower and you pretty much put yourself out of the running for the position.

"Well, I know it's going to sound awfully conceited, but that's as low as I'd go." Hold my breath.

He says that's fair enough. Hmm...reasonable guy.

I doubt I'll get the job. Honestly, I don't want it. Those hours suck and I'd be bored out of my brain. At least I got some interview experience and I got to meet Mr Miyagi. Shoulda gotten his autograph...

Interview #2 with a legal firm this afternoon. I'm gonna ask them for more money. What can I say? I like to live dangerously. ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Glad you're getting out there and looking, and yeah, don't lower your standards. You're worth every penny.
Speaking of Mr Miyagi, check out my Yahoo photos under my IM name. I can send you a copy of his autograph if you really want it. lol
hugs

3:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

--- www.blogladder.com ---

This is an invite to blogladder.com. You can change the colors at the bottom of the home page; there are 20+ color combos. You can also change the header animations; click the little square in the bottom right corner of the header. Your entries are likely to get more feedback as this is a community blogging site.

Have a nice day - come check us out!

3:04 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

When dudes ask the "what salary" question I won't answer, saying instead that they obviously have a salary bracket in mind. I get them to tell me what it is, then say whether or not it is acceptable to me. I just got tired of pricing myself too low.

Then again, I'm the one with no job right now!

7:24 am  
Blogger Lara said...

That's a fantastic answer to the "How low will you go" question! I will have to remember that.

AMG
http://anonymousmidwestgirl.blogspot.com

7:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes that was me on as the anonymous a while back, lol. All this high tech stuff is a bit beyond me. You made me laugh so hard at one of your recent posts everybody looked at me like I was from Mars. I'm really glad you are doing well. And the pictures of you and the boy were lovely. You make a nice couple. Take care of yourself

4:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home