Thursday, February 10, 2005

Stench from the drench?

I posted last Friday about the amount of rain we had last week. Because I was away from work the day after, I didn't know (at the time) that part of our school was flooded. We are situated on the banks of the Yarra River and part of our land is floodplain. The river rose so high that the water was up to hip height in places near its banks - and damaged cars and expensive rowing equipment, among other things.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. I think I've mentioned previously on here about various smells we get eminating through our air conditioning in this building. We've had diesel fumes and gas fumes on more than one occasion. It gives us headaches and can I just say, 'health and safety nightmare'. True to form, nothing much ever gets done about it.

Today, it's sewerage. In our office, it's revolting. It's seeping through our airconditioning like something out of Ghost Busters. Silent, invisible, insidious. It's making us sick. Outside the office it's even worse.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but be aware of the fact that we have (in this section of the school alone) 1,400 teenage boys. If I was a parent, I can't say I'd be all too pleased with the fact that the air outside is enough to make even a dung beetle pass out.

So what's causing it? Well, there are two opinions on this. The first is that the Kooyong Tennis Courts got flooded last week and the water didn't drain away, so now that they're draining it, and that's the smell. I personally buy the second train of thought. That is, workmen were digging in the school grounds and the plans didn't show two sets of pipes, so they burst them when they dug. That, to me, would explain the degree of stench. Seriously, water that has sat for a week on synthetic grass tennis courts does not suddenly start to smell like sewer water.

But it's much easier to blame it on something that happened down the road - coz then nobody has to do anything about it in a hurry - and they have no reason to send us home before we all start to pass out.

Anyone on their way to the store? Can you pick me up some clothes pegs please. I need something for my nose.

Michael Jackson has the right idea. He just gets around in a mask all day. I should do that.

OMG, I just realised I'm going to have to go to my interview this afternoon literally smelling like shit. Greeeaaaaat! Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger grrltraveler said...

Those are great ideas from EJ. Maybe rubbing yourself with the car air freshener would do the trick (if you have one).. What a horrid working environment. Everyone should call in sick. I mean, with that odor, you might be pretty quick. Take care,
a

2:08 am  
Blogger monica said...

Soooooo, how'd it go? :)

2:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home