Monday, February 07, 2005

Rings and other things

In my last post, I said C had mentioned the 'M' word. He woulda been damn cluey if he saw my split-second 'deer in the headlights' look at the time. I guess I just don't let myself think in those terms - it's not real till it's real, and as long as I'm happy where my feet are, all is well. It's a motto I'm trying to live by anyway.

Yep, I've been asked to do the 'happily ever after' thing by others before - not ever with any sparkly bling attached to the question, and nor have I ever agreed to it, either. It's something that's a little hard to get my head around. It's as scary and overwhelming as it is comforting. I don't expect it to happen any time soon, though, but since y'all seem to think it will, it's reason enough for me to comment on it.

My brother, who's 31, is the only other one of my siblings who's never been married. He's lived with his girlfriend for over 5 years now. C asked me why they're not engaged/married yet. It was hard to answer that without sounding like I'm negative on the whole deal as well. The fact is, my brother and I have watched everyone in our family end up in bad marriages that ended relatively quickly, so it goes without saying that we'd be more wary and cautious about entering into a marriage ourselves. I understand my brother's reservations without him having to explain them to me, but it's hard trying to articulate that to someone else.

On one hand, I could live happily with C without being married - because then I wouldn't have to deal with my fear of being married (and all the expectations that go along with that), but, like I told him very early on, I don't want to be someone's long term girlfriend either. Ha, maybe being permanently engaged is an option? ;-) (You know that's a joke, right?)

All I can say is that I'm pretty stupid happy right now and not much else than that matters, really.

In other news, I've started really looking for other jobs, closer to home, and I have an interview on Thursday afternoon. Ironically, it's 5 minutes away from where my current townhouse is....now that I've just moved 30 minutes away from there. Wish me luck anyway...and hope they don't have heart attacks when they hear how much money I want!

5 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Wishing you loads of luck on the job search.

xoxo

Oh, and the marriage thing? I used to be afraid too (well, mine was based on a previous bad experience).. I got over that real quick. ;)

2:04 am  
Blogger Bradley Robb said...

Well, keep your options open, you'll have to move to NYC eventually. Especially when the subter.com home office is there. Read into that what you will.

4:54 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

RG, thanks for the job search luck...I've got another interview for a different position on Friday as well. Things are starting to heat up. :-)

Brad, ya never know. The psychic said I might be moving to the USA or Canada at some stage. And of course I'm gonna analyse what you said. That goes without saying. ;-) Pity we can't chat more often...

9:33 am  
Blogger SJ said...

(grabs head in hands and goes La La La La!)

C! A! The M Word! E!

Algebra, Eve! Algebra!

10:14 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I think the marraige thing doesn't make sense right now because its not the right time. It'll all fall together at that moment, just you wait and see!

Good luck on the job search. I'm sending closer to home vibes so you don't have to commute. ;)

a

2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home