Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Ouch

Last weekend (not this one just passed), I fell down the stairs at my place and hurt my wrist and my back. Yet another reason I didn't blog for a while. I didn't say much about it (remember I'm superwoman), but I wasn't feeling too good for a few days. Talk about my life being literally unbalanced!

To be honest, it scared me. I've had three really bad falls in my time, one where I was convinced that I wasn't going to be able to walk. So, it's not surprising it got me thinking about how I'd cope if I had a broken arm, or a broken leg, or if I hurt myself so badly that I couldn't get around for a while.

The superwoman in me knows I'd simply go into denial and pretend I wasn't in pain and pretend I could do everything like normal. But really, would I? I'm not sure. I don't really want to find out either.

Similarly, C and I were going through a set of 'getting to know you' questions the other night and one was 'lose an arm or a leg?'. We both chose a leg. I think I could be mobile enough to retain a fairly decent quality of life with only one leg, but it'd be much harder to get along with only one arm.

Either way, I'm thankful I didn't hurt myself as bad as I could have, and that all my limbs are working just fine. Sometimes it just takes something bad to happen to realise you've got it pretty good.

5 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

We have dismemberment insurance at work that we can sign up for. My co-workers and I were looking up what we could get paid out for various body parts should we lose them.

We all decided it was a sucky way to make a buck and gave up our money-making scam. ;)

1:16 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Yeouch! Doesn't sound like all that much fun.

As for the arm or the leg, my initial response was to lose the arm and keep the leg. (Ever hear of Bethany Hamilton, the surfer girl that was attacked by a shark last year?) But then, I started thinking... a prosthetic leg would probably replace a greater percentage of relative mobility as opposed to a prosthetic arm. (Until they figure out how to get all the digits moving independently.) Hmmmmm. Dunno, I love to get out and run during my lunch hour.

6:21 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Poor Evie! And you without a leg, too...

8:27 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

hehe Sal, no no, not 20kgs, but almost 20 pounds! :-p About 8.5kg so far. I'm gonna tell Dr F-K that I call him Dr Fun Killer this week just to see how he reacts. hehe

8:36 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I hope you are okay! I'm glad you took it easy a bit though (not posting)..

When I was in a motorcycle accident, I separated my shoulder. I know that you think denial works but pain works better! At least it did for me. I had to take it easy. If I remember correctly though, you said you have a high threshold for pain so I hope you don't have to find out!!

Sal, I'm with you. I'm a cutter too. I have all sorts of little knicks and cuts all over my hands at all times.

Anyhow, be safe and be careful.. (((((((((E))))))))))

a

9:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home