Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Dressing for success

Like I said in my last post, I was playing dress ups last night. I don't do this often, because I'm really not a dress ups kinda gal. I generally don't do 'girly' stuff. But I'd bought all those clothes on my trip to Sydney, so I figured I'd try them all on again to see how much adjusting they all need (since most are trousers and I'm going to have to take them up in the legs and in at the waist, because nothing ever, ever fits me right).

I bought a dress. Let me just say here, I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a dress. I do have some skirts that I rarely wear, but I've never been able to get a dress that fits me. I'm really quite small from the waist up, with narrow shoulders, but I can be up to a full size bigger from the hips down, depending what the item of clothing is and how it's made. So dresses just do not fit me. If they fit right on my top half, they're too small around the hips. If they fit on the hips, they fall off the top of me. Either way, not a good look.

Imagine my surprise when my girlfriend picked out this slinky red dress for me to try on...and it fit....nicely! I have no idea what the material is (really soft, clingy, stretchy stuff?), but it makes me look half decent....especially now that I have my abs back somewhat.

Assuming the boy and I go out for Valentine's Day, I'll wear it. He's never seen me in anything but jeans, so I'm sure he'll like the change. The problem is me. Well, I have two problems. I do own high heels. Last time I had to wear a dress (13 August last year - should show you exactly how often I wear a dress ha!), I had to borrow a girlfriend's shoes, because I could only find one of each of two pairs of high heels I own. I need to find my shoes!

The second problem is that I'm so self conscious when I wear anything that brings attention to myself. Being blonde haired and blue eyed and generally 'petite', part of being me means that people look at me. I really dislike it. Honestly. It makes me uncomfortable. I used to get followed home from work, people touch me, people make comments. I'd just rather go unnoticed. This is part of the reason I tend to wear only jeans and less girly types of clothes.

I know I can look damn good in a dress or a skirt, with my hair done and with heels on. I just do not like people looking at me. It makes me feel like every movement is being scrutinised and I can't relax. Conversely, and probably contradictory to all I've just said, the same comments and looks are a confidence boost. I'm thankful for my looks and I know I can make myself look pretty good.....but I look in the mirror and see the person who looks like shit first thing in the morning. At least it keeps me grounded.

Ugh, I'm starting to sound egotistical now. What am I trying to say? Ok...I'm going to wear this dress out with C on V Day if we go somewhere. I want to look good for me and for him. But it's been soooo long since I've dressed up that it's also going to feel strange and overwhelming enough just for that reason, without feeling like I'm on show.

I've had plenty of discussions with Jason over the years about the negatives of being blonde, but he just doesn't get it. I suspect most people wouldn't. But it's a pain. Sometimes I really just want to blend in. Guess I can't expect that with blonde hair and a bright red dress huh?

By the way...what the hell kind of underwear are you supposed to wear with a clingy dress? And don't say none!

6 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Aaargh! C for V Day! Whenever I read yours and cnfg's site these days I feel like I'm having an algebra lesson...

1:39 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

hehe, sorry 'bout that. See ya at Coles. I'll be the one in the....well, you know...

Black Swan girl

1:42 pm  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Sorry...The answer is none...or a g-string. Panty lines ruin the look COMPLETELY.

4:46 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Uh, the answer is none... or a good thong... hehehehe. Being Valentine's Day, I'd go for none. For some odd reason, guys go nuts if they think you have no underwear on. That's why I laugh at all those girls who wear low riders with their underwear sticking out the top. If they were really looking to seduce the guys, they'd be out with no underwear! (Personally, I prefer underwear, but I suppose this is bordering on TMI now!)

Speaking of trying in vain to blend in with the crowd, can you imagine me trying to blend in with a bunch of 6 ft tall white guys? Hahahahahahahahahaha. In the end, I just learned to accept the fact that I stick out of that crowd like a sore thumb. But then, if you're all hottied up, guys also like knowing they're with someone that all the other guys are checking out. (Did that make sense?)

Anyway, sounds like a terrific addition to your wardrobe. Every woman needs one red and one black dress. :)

7:09 pm  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

The dress sounds lovely. I guess you'd better go invest in some shoes missy....

;)

1:54 am  
Blogger Randygirl said...

hey, not related, but wanted to tell you...I pinned you on the board map, since it wouldn't take for whatever reason. If you want me to change the comment, let me know. Plus, I had to make a guess about the proper location since I've never been there ;)

3:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home