Friday, February 04, 2005

Crazy weather

Melbourne is renowned for its strange weather. One minute it can be sunny and warm, the next, you're freezing and trying to stay dry. For this reason, I have learnt to carry a spare pair of shoes in my car, a small towel and a sweater or jacket. But this week, our weather has gone completely nuts - moreso than usual.

Earlier in the week it was about 33C (91.4F). The next day, it dropped down to 13C (55.4F). Then it got windy...and rainy. Then it just got totally crazy. It started raining at our place at about 5.30pm on Tuesday afternoon and didn't stop the entire next day. In fact, it got 100 times worse. Turns out, Wednesday was something like our coldest February day on record and the wettest in 150 years.

The wind was like nothing I've heard before. Actually, there has been one other time when I was living with my last housemate and we had to get up at 2am and sweep our back verandah so the house didn't flood, but I'm sure it wasn't as bad as this week.

By 3am the sound of the wind was like a freight train and by 7am I knew I wasn't going to work, because my car would have just been blown about on the freeway and I had a nice headache forming too.

I got up when the boy went to work and we noticed the laundry was all flooded, so that was tidying job number one for me for the day. Later on I noticed the water had come through the front door as well. More mopping...

Right now we have a couple of inches of water still in the backyard, but we were lucky we got no damage to our cars, our house, or ourselves - although my car now screeches like anything if I reverse, so something's obviously got stuck somewhere, so I'll have to get that sorted.

C was out till late last night doing volunteer work for the State Emergency Service, helping people with damaged rooves ("A roof almost fell on me" Great...!) and others who's living room had been flooded. Makes me proud of him that he does things like that.

Here are some photos I found. They're pretty amazing. Like this one.

Hard to believe, but there's a tractor under the water in these photos.

It's Summer here. It's supposed to be hot, but we've had the heating on for the past two days. At least the sun's out now.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I got drenched - drenched, I say! - going to and coming home from the Beastie Boys gig the other night. There were Typhoons of rain blowin down Bourke Street as I waited for a tram. By the time I got home, I looked like I'd been swimming in the Yarra.

I'm moving to Perth, I've had enough...

7:05 am  
Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Wow! I had no idea. That flooding is outrageous. So, for your previous questions, about what undergarments to wear with the sassy red dress - I will suggest a wet suit. xoxo Mia

10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home