Friday, November 05, 2004

Female friends

I'm seriously lacking in this department. More often than not, it doesn't bother me, but at other times, it does. I have two close girlfriends locally. Both are married, are 10 years older than me, and have kids. My closest single girlfriend lives two states away. Sara, who is the best thing that ever happened to me, lives in South Carolina. Any other girls I'm in any way close with, are my net friends (and you know who you are).

I have plenty of single male friends. I talk a lot to them on the phone and we hang out together. I relate much better to guys than girls. I've just never really been the girly type (much to my mother's chagrin), I don't much like girly things and I just can't get excited about hair, makeup, clothes and shoes. I'd definitely rather be hiking and putting up a tent than working out some new recipe or knitting something.

I suppose I'm just more conscious of it now, because conversations with Chris seem to contain a lot of, "Stew and I went ...., Darran said ...., my friend Tony .....", and not a lot of, "the girls and I...". I know it doesn't bother him, because he has female friends and he and I talk openly about exes - well you can't avoid it when you've spent most of your life in a relationship - but it bothers me from time to time that I don't get a lot of female interaction in my day to day life.

I work with all guys. The only women I work with are all in their late 40s/early 50s and have adult children. I'm the only single female here. So it's not exactly a conducive environment for friendship forming.

I don't know if I really even want to have more female friends - it's taken me till now to actually find women I relate to and get on with and can have intelligent conversations with. But it'd be nice sometimes to have a single local girlfriend who I didn't feel I had to compete with on any level and who I could call to discuss boys, or just do stuff in general with.

Just feeling a little detached.

7 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Um, did I write this post?
Seriously.
I find it really hard to make friends with girls in person. So many are so catty, so many are interested only in things I'm not, and not so many work with me. And I definitely miss having just 5 or 6 girls to get together in the evening for a chat from the female perspective.
But at least I know I have good net girl friends!
hugs,
R

3:26 pm  
Blogger Bradley Robb said...

Well, since you've figured it out this far, I'll go ahead and let you all in. Us, and by us I mean the Greater Male Federation (GMF for short) have been discussing this for a while...we actually have thought about telling you this for a while...well, some have, it's complicated really... basically we've been working for some time to isolate females. Why? It makes you, and by you I mean the members of the Global Female Conspiracy (GFC), easier to deal with. There. I said it.

3:39 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

LOL well then if I apply my own logic to that, is it safe to say then that I should feel honoured to have been singled out from my female counterparts as worthy of being a close friend to members of the GMF?

Or are you just trying to say that you're (the GMF) trying to regain power from the GFC by keeping us separate from each other?

E ;-)

4:05 pm  
Blogger Bradley Robb said...

I've already said too much.

5:11 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Apparently, this has more to do with divide and conquer. Remember, I get to play spy for the home team, as I seem to be constantly surrounded by guys. (And to think I STILL can't find a good man to date???) I've heard hours of discussions about the competing theories on how to split girls off of the pack. (IE, the wingman to jump on the grenade?) Apparently we're easier to handle that way... sort of like antelope, I guess. And if they don't score a girlfriend, then they get a spy to help them figure out how to tweak their approach.

Hehehehehe. Girl friends, guy friends... I got a little of both. ;)

7:10 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

Ahhh the bet thing that ever happened to you eh? Don't make me try to live up to that one, I will surely foul it up miserably. :)

I miss you... and don't go looking for more female friends. Take a look at my wedding party. I have 'you' the best friend I have ever had that was wonderfully understanding through my silly girliness and loves me in spite of my pink fingernail polish ;-)... then there was my dh sister... who was sick and whiney... there was Tracy... who was sweet, but didn't have much to say... then there was - aaaaahhhh the other... ivan the terrible - the 'I must be prettiesr than the bride' the 'I cannot stoop to look down to be sure that I make it down stairs safely' one... what did Steve call her? The school marm? LOLOLOL

I have decided in life, with women such as we, you only need the few close friends that 'get it' to hades and back with the rest. :)

Love you dear.

S

4:48 am  
Blogger Sara said...

Ps I am very sorry that I am posting at work, can't spell and in too big a hurry to be sure that the previous post was spelled correctly and had at leat one punctuation mark... *sigh*

5:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home