Thursday, November 04, 2004

Things that go bump in the night

No, no, get your mind out of the gutter, not those things.

I went to bed on time last night. I know this because my laptop automatically adjusted for daylight savings and I'd re-set the clock on my stereo. I got to my bedroom and set my alarm clock for this morning. Why I didn't look at the actual time, I have no idea.

In the middle of the night, there was the biggest crack and bang noise I'd heard in a long time. It sounded close to my house, but since I didn't hear voices or any sounds of concern from the street, I went back to sleep.

I woke up at 5.30am, feeling like I'd slept enough, but glad to have another hour or so. Eventually, I got up when my clock said it was 6.55am. Figuring I had a bit of time to check email, I went downstairs and logged onto my laptop. It was still running from the night before and I'd parted company with it while looking at Ian's blog, so that's what refreshed when I connected the cable.

"Oh", I said, "Ian's got nifty time features now. Hey it's 8.04am here". A moment passes and recognition sets in. "I'm supposed to be at work!" You can tell I haven't been at home lately, or I would have noticed a long time ago that my clock was wrong! So I rang work and told them my power had gone out and I'd be right in. All was fine.

I rushed around like a madwoman and was ready pretty quickly. Now let me explain briefly, my townhouse has a long drive up the right hand side and my garage is at a right angle off that, at the back of my place. Along the length of the drive is a 6ft wall. I can't actually see out into the street until I pull out of my garage. Imagine my surprise when I zoom out, get half way around the corner and see a tree in front of me!

Yes, next door's tree had pretty much snapped in half and was covering my entire drive and half their front lawn. That at least explained the bang in the night. So then I had to call work back again and explain that I was now ready to leave but couldn't get to work because my car was blocked in. Luckily, they found it pretty funny.

I had to call emergency services volunteers to chainsaw all the branches and move it out of my way so I could at least get my car out. The good thing is that Chris wasn't at my place last night and the neighbours only had one of their two cars at home, otherwise their car and Chris' would have both been written off - and they're both new cars.

It's not all bad. I got to sleep in for an hour, bum around at home for a while and have a decent sit down breakfast and chat to Sara for a bit. Not really a bad way to start the day.

And now that damn tree won't be leaving crap in my courtyard anymore! Woohooo!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob Burton said...

You forgot to add to your list 'watch the manly firemen brandishing chain saws in their waders...'

10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home