Monday, November 01, 2004

Random bits and pieces

1. The boy's Irish and it just happens that I lived with a Scottish guy for 3 1/2 years and I learnt a lot of Irish songs when I was doing my classical training. So you can imagine what our neighbours think when they suddenly hear Danny Boy, Loch Lomond and Scotland the Brave belted out impulsively as duets, as the mood arises. Next stop is the local Irish pub to go humiliate ourselves in public...

2. Driving back from the supermarket today, something caught my attention. A guy was standing just outside his fence, on the footpath, watching something. Normal so far....but the fact that it was raining, he was hugely overweight and only had on a pair of shorts, had shaving cream on his face, a razor in his hand and had half shaved his beard, disturbed me somewhat.... I didn't even see what he was looking at...

3. At the bbq yesterday, there was a little six year old girl in a wheelchair. She has a disease (the name of which stupidly escapes me right now), and is not able to really communicate at all. But later into the night, the music went on and the volume went up. And I got to see the most amazing thing. This little girl (who was so unbelievably pretty) started singing out loud to Suzi Quattro. She knew all the words to all the song. Her eyes lit up and she was just so happy to be there in that moment. Made me realise it's the little things that can make a difference to someone...and made me grateful for so many things...

4. Being healthy is damn expensive. I spent $203 on groceries - healthy food - no chocolate, sweets, anything. See: no comfort food to help me get over the fact that I spent so much money and didn't bring home anything fun...

6 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Hey, if you'd mentioned you liked Irish guys sooner, well...

9:33 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Hey Ian...I like Irish guys. Now ya know. ;-)
Well, actually I'm partial to accents in general, as long as they're not Aussie.

5:06 pm  
Blogger Rob Burton said...

Perhaps the fat shaving guy was doing just that - he'd had the water disconnected for not paying the bill and now was forced to shave in the street when it rained! Maybe you were lucky, cos I shave AFTER showering so he might just have got his shorts back on!

11:33 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

Hmm... the bit about the little girl made me smile. Used to work with a charity organizasion and a little boy with spina bifida. They're the most amazing kids.

NOW - write me back. :) There's this email floating out in lala land waiting for you to respond.

I miss you.

1:25 am  
Blogger Mia Goddess said...

The simplest explanation - guy's cat ran out of the house and into the bushes while he was shaving - is hardly the one that springs to mind first. The first explanation that came to mind was much more disturbing! I hope you looked away before your retnas were burned. - Mia

1:38 am  
Blogger Randygirl said...

checking in. Miss ya
hugs,
R

10:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home