Thursday, November 25, 2004

12 Steps

There were actually 13 steps, but we sat on the 12th one.

My brother and I would sit there, in the dark, on the back steps, waiting for our eldest sister to come and pick us up. We’d stay the night at her place.

Inside, my mother would be crying. Her boyfriend would be yelling, abusing her, hitting her. She just took it. He put a barstool through the ceiling one night.

He was always drunk. She was always depressed.

I have an image in my head of him on one side of the kitchen table with a knife. The rest of us on the other. I’ve never been able to remember if it was just a dream, or not, but I can see it clearly.

These are the things I think of at this time of year.

5 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

((((((((((((((((you))))))))))))))))))

12:16 pm  
Blogger Randygirl said...

I'm here. To send these...
(((((((((E)))))))))
...always.

2:59 pm  
Blogger monica said...

(((((((((((((((((((((E))))))))))))))))))))))))))

5:29 pm  
Blogger Cori said...

Someday my Dear, you and I will buy gallons of chocolate ice cream, oddles of hot fudge, and 50 pounds of chopped almonds.

We... you and I... will make the worlds biggest Ice Cream Sundae! Yes, I've announced it here!

(we need to spoil the little girls still in us)

I have already been storing the canned whipping cream in my basement.

3:51 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I'll take you up on that one day, Cori!!
Hugs,
E

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home