Sunday, November 21, 2004

The weekend

On Saturday, Dr Fun-Killer told me I'd lost another 2kg (4.4 pounds) last week. I don't feel it. I don't see it, but psychologically, I'm just about to the point where it's starting to make a difference and I can really be positive about it and know that all my effort is paying off...or will do, eventually.

But now for my weekend update. For a start, I forgot how tiny 6 year olds are. C's son, A, is a total cutie; sandy blond with blue eyes and huge eyelashes. For reasons I can't go into, I can't put pictures of either of them on here. Wish I could...

I got to C's house Friday night and they were watching Shrek II and A was playing Game Boy Advance and I ended up getting instruction on how to beat up bad guys and the art of making facial expressions that directly correlate to the number of buttons you have to push at once.

Saturday afternoon we all went to see Polar Express, which wasn't a bad movie. A little dark in places, so A got a bit uneasy, but good all round. Next was the toy section of K-mart where we promptly pressed all the buttons on the noisiest cars and trucks and ended up buying A a kinda truck thingy that we've all been playing with ever since. (with a button that says "Emergency! 911 - call for backup!")

Then we went to see the Christmas windows display in the city, which was also the Polar Express theme.

Last night at dinner the boy whispered to C, "is Eve going to be your girlfriend, coz you guys are so in love". LOL So that was the first of the questions. Meanwhile, I'm pulling the batter off scallops and eating like a cannibal.

Then today, we went to a Christmas tree farm and cut a Christmas tree and chased sheep. Why there were sheep in the Christmas tree farm, I have no idea, but we got some cool photos. :-P

Put the tree up, played shooting games in which I somehow always ended up being the one to meet the untimely death, chased each other, had a picnic in the backyard, played hide and seek, took the football (soccer) the park and now I've come home to recover for a while, while C takes him back to his mum's place.

Just before they left, A said, "so are you going to be dad's girlfriend?". I asked him if it was ok if I was and he said yes, so I guess I have approval from the right person.

We didn't end up going to C's sister's place because A's little friend was away camping for the weekend, so there was no reason to really go there.

I am sooooo tired! Trying to recoup here at home for a few hours, then I'll go back up to C's later on tonight..and watch the Australian Idol final...and then fall in a heap. But he doesn't know that yet.

And an extra thought, since this is my blog and not 'the board' I post on. Considering I was never one to want a family, to want to be responsible for a child, to share my time with someone and their child, I think I handled the weekend pretty damn well. C asked me if I was ready to run. I'm not. I knew what I signed up for. I know I'll need to go through adjustments and the responsibility of helping to look after a miniature human is going to be a steep learning curve, but I'm ok with the idea.

And it's going to make me deal with my own family issues. I guess this is where I start growing up too.

2 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

My favorite age for boys is six years old (well, until they get older anyway...) They are so adorable and sweet. I'm glad you got on well with him.

Hey, if you figure out the secret on how to grow up and deal with family issues, let me know will ya? ;)

xoxo

11:26 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

It sounds like fun! I love when you get that first taste that a child might actually be interesting to you rather than a horrid thought. He'll adore you and it'll make you like him that much more! Enjoy!

ps. congratulations on the weight loss!

6:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home