Friday, November 19, 2004

Meeting the family, the kid, the ex

It appears it's going to be an interesting and busy weekend for me. I'm driving up to C's place tonight after gym and I'll get to meet his son. Really, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Not because I don't want to meet him, or I'm not ready, but rather for the child's sake. Chris only recently broke up with his ex and I'm a little concerned about there being a constant parade of women in his dad's life and what sort of impression that gives. Granted, it's only been me and the one ex, but still... Apparently, A (son) took the news of his last breakup really well (he's 6 btw) and didn't seem to care all that much. Chris spoke to his sister about introducing me and they both think it won't be a problem.

I guess it's just because, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "it's only been a month". I don't have any concerns about not being around next month, or the month after, or anything like that, but I think it's just prudent to be wary about the effect on the child. Maybe I'm over-analysing....thinking of my own role models (or lack thereof).

On Saturday, after I visit Dr Fun-Killer and do some stuff at home, I'm going back to C's and we're going to Bendigo (couple of hours drive away) to spend the weekend at his sister's place and do birthday things for him with all his family. I'm ok with this, but considering the last time I did the 'meet the family' stuff was 7 years ago, it's a little daunting. And to be honest, it'll make everything more 'official' between us. Again, it's a long time since I've been in this position and as much as I want it, it scares me in equal proportion.

Sunday should be interesting. Things going as he anticipates, I'll get to meet his ex - his son's mother. I don't mind this. I think it'd be a good thing, because if I was the mother, I'd want to know who the father's seeing, if they're involved with my kid. C's going to let her know in advance that I'll be there when he drops A off on Sunday afternoon.

So it's gonna be a big weekend. Looks like things are starting to get serious...

1 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Just wanted to drop a note to say I'm here, I'm reading, I'm sure that it will all go well (after all, who could avoid being impressed by you?) (and we know you can hold your own in any situation). I think that you're both going about things in a good way. He knows his kid so he knows what's best, plus he's taken outside advice from someone else who knows his kid. And you are not assuming either way, which I think it good--that you're looking at things from both sides and relying on dad's judgement. As for the ex, at the very least it should be enlightening. At the best it will make everyone more comfortable with who's in the little one's life. But obviously you know that.
Sorry I'm so MIA with comments right now. Little stressed. Know you know why.
hugs hugs,
R

8:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home