Monday, October 11, 2004

Perfectly flawed

I started a course today. It's a database programming course and on Friday I'm going to be so proud of myself for having made it through the week. Today wasn't so difficult, but apparently, it's gonna get quite tough. Yay...not!

Anyway, I walked into the room and the trainer was a young guy called Josh. Very nice looking boy...made it easy to pay attention! As I sat down, he was setting up the computer for the other guy doing the course (yeah, only two of us). He finished and walked back to the front of the room and I noticed he had a distinct limp. At this point, I was going to say something intelligent like, "hey, what happened to you?", but it occured to me he might have a natural limp, so I kept my mouth shut. It wasn't till later he said, "by the way, I didn't have a stroke, I twisted my ankle at indoor soccer and just got off crutches".

In between trying to keep up with learning things I won't remember tomorrow, trying to stay awake, wondering why Josh used so much gel in his hair, what the other guy's wife looked like and staring at his lips (he looked like he'd had botox injections) , I started thinking about people I'd met this year and their imperfections. Yeah, I think a lot!

The first person was D. He had football injuries that made him walk funny...like a cowboy who's had too many falls.

Next was A. Very sweet guy with a lovely face...and one leg significantly shorter than the other, which left him always in pain, and couldn't walk long distances.

Another D. He has a sinus problem and is always blowing his nose. If he knew what he wanted out of life, we'd probably be together.

Then there's Ed. No physical flaws, but completely emotionally inadequate. Shame, coz I still believe he's fundamentally a nice guy.

Another guy I met - J. Is interested in dating me...has a significant, noticable problem with one of his eyes. The fickle part of me hasn't come to terms with this yet.

Yet another J. Lives in Malaysia, but he's moving here, we've talked once on the phone (although we've had numerous talks on poetry and how we're going to save the world), and he's in love. Overwhelming.

I shouldn't forget my ex of 7+ years, who had a thyroid problem needed corrective surgery to fix a serious impairment with one of his eyes.

Now it all sounds pretty fickle and shallow to be appearing to judge people on appearances or things I think are 'wrong' with them. But I don't think these things are 'wrong' at all. All these people and their flaws have been brought into my life to teach me something. Shit, I've got a heart that doesn't work properly. Who am I to say someone else is inadequate?

But these 'inadequacies' aren't that at all. They're what make us all individual and unique and they've taught me even more to look below the surface. To go beyond those initial judgements that would otherwise have us 'reject' the person.

Some of these people have hurt or taken advantage of me. Some of them have been proven to be real friends. All of them have taught me it's perfectly ok to be imperfect.

We don't have to like every physical or emotional trait of every person we meet, but we meet them for a reason. We cross paths because we're meant to teach each other something.

I think I've worked out my lessons.

1 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

You've just come up with a great by-line for the human race: "It's Perfectly OK to be Imperfect."

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home