Saturday, October 09, 2004

Does one voice really make a difference?

We have:

Liberals - John Howard, Dubya's little yes man, who's so out of touch with regular Australians it's not funny. It seems the baby boomers love him, the younger generations hate him. The love stems from (methinks) the extreme lowering of interest rates since the horror days of the 80s and some health care schemes that benefit older people. The hate's mostly generated from misguided news media regarding children overboard, mandatory detention and the war in Iraq. People should educate themselves. Don't believe everything you see on tv.

Labour - Mark Latham, who's only previous claim to fame is that he once broke the arm of a taxi driver. He's got some good ideas - if you're really old or have a family. I don't subscribe to his idea that it's the right thing to pull our guys out of Iraq before Christmas, regardless of whether the 'job' is done yet, or not. I don't have children, or a mortgage and I'm certainly not old enough to benefit from his health care schemes and I don't believe pulling our troops out of Iraq in a knee jerk reaction is the right thing to do either. Overall though, I think he's more in touch with my demographic than little Johnny.

Nationals - well they're just the Liberals with a different name, 'cept they wear hats and speak up for the country voters too.

Democrats - apparently, usually on the side of whoever is not currently in Government. Big enough to have a say, not big enough to make enough of a difference.

Independents - no they're not. They'll give their preferences to whichever party is more inclined to assist them in some way. Not very independent in my mind.

Greens - a little too extreme to me in some ways. I do think some of their policies have some substance. All you have to do is visit Queenstown in Tasmania and see the destruction that mining and logging has caused to know why they're so vocal about their issues.

So I have 5 hours left to vote, since it's compulsory here, and I still haven't decided which way to go. I don't particularly like any of the options. Nor do I like the idea of a $50 fine if I don't vote, so I have to decide.

However I vote, it'll come down to preferences, so even if I don't go for one of the major two, my vote will still end up going some way to increase the count of one or the other. But which one?

The lesser of two evils is still evil...

2 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Funny how I was just reading an article on Howard when I clicked on your blog. I don't know if it will let me make it a link, but I'll put the URL in this comment, anyway.
(enjoying your saturday?)
R
http://www.motherjones.com/news/dailymojo/2004/10/10_505.html

1:20 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Go vote! It's your right to have a say in which party governs your country! So even if you think it will be pointless, exercise your right to vote anyway.

I'm pretty stuck at the moment - I don't believe it's proper for me to vote in elections in Ireland or Britain any more (I have dual nationality) since I no longer live in either country, and I can't vote in Australia yet since I am not a citizen. So I'm watching today's events with interest..

But I will be a citizen by the time the next election comes along in 4 years time. I'm looking forward to ticking my little boxes...

3:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home