Saturday, October 09, 2004

Well I think it's funny anyway

Since my last post about the things I have to deal with at work, nothing much has happened. Till yesterday.

Leon, my fearless offsider, and I sit within about 5 paces of each other, but because of where we sit, it's sometimes a lot easier (and smarter) to email or use messenger to talk to each other.

Some background:
Leon's girlfriend of 6 years is overseas on a holiday. He's supposed to be going to meet up with her for a few weeks and leaves next week. He's thinking of proposing while he's over there (but hasn't got a ring yet - long story). While he's overseas, he's supposed to go to a conference for work, which means work will pay for some of his ticket. It also means his travel needs to be approved. Our boss still hasn't gotten the travel approved. Yes, Leon's supposed to leave next week and the travel is not approved! Our boss is also going overseas next Wednesday. He organised and got his travel approved and paid for.

Pam is a lovely lady in her 50s. She works in our bookroom and is in charge of selling all stationary and books to students. She's a very intelligent lady, degree qualified and a lovely person. But she does not have a single clue about computers....at all!

Part of the database that Leon and I built/administer is for Pam to register all sales and these go directly to the accounts dept and they process the sales through their part of the database. She's supposed to scan the items, hit a button and that's it.

So this email Leon sent me yesterday late in the afternoon, cracked me up. This only ever happens on a Friday afternoon. I really feel for the guy.

Pam is officially retarded. That is my medical opinion.

She hasn't been pressing the Big Bright Orange "Finalise Order" on the screen because she "didn't want to print out receipts".

So... there is $26,000+ worth of Bookroom items that have not been charged to kids accounts.

Now do I:
a) tell Greg right away and spend the rest of my time at work stressed as f*ck working overtime on top of not knowing when he'll pay for the ticket.
b) delete all the records so the kids get the books and stationary they "bought" for free. Thus "correcting" the error.
c) ignore it all until I am safely overseas and send Greg an email telling him of the situation so he can deal with it on his own later?

One thing is for sure.. I aint doing anything about it today :)

I'm just glad I'm doing a course all next week so I won't be there to witness the fallout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home