Friday, October 08, 2004

Poetry and expression

Have you noticed lately that everyone seems to be more into poetry, creative writing and self expression? Used to be that only the stereotypical library nerd would be the only one to admit to reading poetry, let alone writing anything - and was chastised for it. G-d forbid we might show our emotions to the world, huh?

Before I came down to Melbourne, almost 9 years ago, my boss gave me a present one day and in it was a book. It's called The Thoughts of Nanushka and it's poetry by a lady called Nan Witcomb. I still read that book all the time. Thought I'd share.

Splish, if you're reading, let me know what you think. HC :-)

FALLING in love
is a recurring illness -
the heady nights
and dizzy days,
the raging fever
and the pain -
recovery -
slow convalescence
with the uncertainty
of where and when or if
this wondrous sickness
will strike again . . .

How can you
expect
anyone else
to love you
when you do not
even like yourself?

In me, there is an exquisite loneliness,
deep and personal
like unbearable pain,
I made friends with it
and found peace

I love you - and yet I do not presume to know you
Your secret self is a beautiful mystery
upon which my heart will not intrude


1 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Well, I like it.
I think almost all poetry about love speaks to so many of us because we've been through it. We can feel what the speaker is expressing, even though while we're in it we always think we're the only one who ever felt like this in all the world.
Ok so I'm speaking for myself, but anyway, I liked it.
Trying to get the computer running properly again. Now it won't shut down any programs. I'll msg if it works.
hugs,
R

11:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home