Friday, February 01, 2008

Nothing and everything #2

On Wednesday, I called the local outdoor fitness franchise and said I was looking for work experience. We chatted for all of two or three minutes before he asked me to turn up at 6am Thursday morning and help him take his cardio class. WTF?! That was yesterday.

When I got there, he said I could just join the class for the session. Half way through, he said I could take the cool down/stretching. An easy thing to do, but scary all the same. The class gave me a collective "who do you think you are?" look, but I expected that. The trainer said I did well and asked me to go back next Tuesday morning and maybe take the initial ten minutes warm up part of the class. That's scarier than taking the last bit. I qualify on Monday night, so it will also be my first real session as someone who's actually supposed to know what they're doing. Ha!

Apparently, they have a set number of work experience sessions you're allowed to do, but he's already said if we get on, he'll bend the rules, because he's looking for another trainer, so if I'm good enough, I'll get paid work sooner rather than later. I liked his class, so I'm looking forward to going back. Not so excited about having to get up at 5am for the first time in a number of months, but thats' what I signed up for.

Immediately after that, I had an interview with a guy who owns a resistance training gym that's just about to open. It's the first of its kind in Australia and the equipment is different from anything anyone else has. However, it's still a circuit gym at the end of the day, so I don't think it would be very stimulating after a while. We'll see. He's going to call me on Saturday to see if he can offer me some hours. I'll make my mind up then.

Back to Wednesday night. I was talking to my class instructor, saying I needed to find balance between having a real job (read: one that pays enough for me to live on), getting work experience, going to school and training for 'The Trek'. To cut a long story short, he mentioned the main personal trainer at our school/gym is leaving and had made that decision that day. He suggested I call the office and ask for the job, since I'll be qualified to do gym instruction as of Monday night. I called, I emailed my resume. I have no idea the full hours or the pay rate, but if I can get it, I'll take it. I know I'll have to get extra work as well, but it's ideal in terms of location and experience.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I also got a call from an agency about admin work yesterday. They have a 4 week contract, starting Monday. If I take it, I have to commit to the entire assignment. It's crap money, but better than none. If I take it, I may miss the gym one, or better paying contract work. If I wait to hear on the gym one, I will definitely miss the admin one. I still don't know what to do and I have to give the agency an answer in the next 30-60 minutes. That's my immediate dilemma.

Not much is going on, but it feels like so much is going on.

4 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Excellent on the gym gig... I bet you're a hard taskmaster! :)

8:05 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Ha, I would be if I weren't so damn nervous.

Wanna know the funny thing? My C is totally coming out in all of this (like you've been saying), when I'm usually more D at work and I outside work. I really need to learn to teach kick boxing.

11:38 pm  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I know it can be a bit scary to not have that guaranteed paycheck and have to take a chance that you might get the other gig but if you can do it, at least you'll be moving forward into a career that you want, rather than just taking a paycheck. Of course, 30-60 minutes is probably already gone and you've made up your mind already but I say no to the admin job. Closing doors tends to open other doors. It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem finding something else!

good luck!

10:49 am  
Blogger Mel said...

*crossing fingers and toes*

Yeah, yeah....I read the other post--I can still cross 'em if I wanna!

1:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home