Monday, April 30, 2007

Call me, call me now

I get some strange requests in my job. It's really quite strange, but there seems to be the perception by people who don't work in IT that the IT department can fix everything and find the answers to everything. Ok, we get close to that, but we're not perfect.

Today was looking like it would end like any other day, which is just fine by me. Then I got a phone call from our Sydney office, asking me to put international barring on some phones. Fine. Easy.

The girl called me back to say that one of the users had made a single phone call that came to $146. She'd tried to call it and thought it was an overseas number and could I investigate. Sure, email me the details.

I could tell straight away that it was one of those 'info services'. Rather than calling my phone guy, I decided to go directly to the all-knowing source - G00g|e. It doesn't just find words, you know!

I wasn't sure what to expect and I didn't really think it would give me a result. But it did. I sooo wish I could remember the url, because it was damn funny. Then again, I wouldn't post it here anyway. The main page looked innocent enough, but had interesting links and mentioned 'adult content' and being 'over 18 years of age'. I emailed the girl in Sydney and suggested she might want to recoup the $146 from the guy responsible.

Meanwhile, we (the IT dept) wondered how such a site would get past our p0rn blocker. "Well, ok, you got the main page, but I doubt the links will work..." The first one didn't. "See? I told you." So I tried another one.

Let's just say we'll be adding a couple more urls to the web blocker tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

You guys spoil everyone's fun! ;)

12:28 am  
Blogger Mel said...

O
M
G!!

I dunno that I wanna know what that $146 dollars paid for.

No, I'm CERTAIN I don't wanna know. LOL

12:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home