Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Family - Part 10 - 6 Degrees of Separation

It just gets more weird.

Eldest sister called me out of the blue last night. I'd say I'm not sure why, but I realise it was to bait me in a couple of ways. She started by asking what I'm up to. "Working." Am I seeing someone? "Yep." What's his name? "T." Where's he work? "He lives in WA", (I'm not going to give my conniving sister the name of his employer). How old is he? "37." Are you going to keep him? "Yes." Oh, she said I should have a child, too. You know, coz everyone should have one, coz they're fun to play with and all, and if they're pretty or talented, you can show them off and live vicariously through them. So, she didn't say that verbatim, but I'll never be the cool kid on the block till I have one. Eldest sister and my mother are so similar. It's hard to tell who's speaking through whom a lot of the time.

She makes jewellery. She's actually pretty good at it. She's always been creative and can make dresses, jewellery, can draw etc. The downside is that generally, she's used her creative mind for evil, not good, till now. She gets cash for what she makes, so it bugs me that she's still scamming, but at least she's doing something useful and constructive for a change.

I'm not big on the type of stuff she makes. I can see the talent and the art in it, but it's not me. It's beadwork, dangly pieces, shiny stuff. I prefer much more classic, plain jewellery, but I hardly wear it anyway. Eldest sister then asked me what my email address is. That set off a warning beacon in my head. When I asked why she needed it, she told me it was so she could send me pictures of her work. I said I wasn't interested.

I'll tell you why I didn't want to give her my email address (even though she could ask my niece for it, if it occured to her). When I first moved to Melbourne, she was already living down here, although I didn't know where. I didn't know Melbourne at all. After I'd been here a while and my housemate-turned-partner and I moved out of the place we rented and into the house he owned, I went to get the phone connected (why am I forever having issues with phone companies???), and they said I had a $2,200 outstanding bill from when I lived in a certain suburb. I told them I had no idea where that suburb even was and more importantly, I was living in another state at the time the calls were made. Upon asking for more details, I discovered eldest sister had used my name on the bills, with her as the person to contact, then didn't pay. The phone company required me to prove - by contacting all my previous employers for that time frame - that I was living and working interstate, so the debt wouldn't become mine. I told them it was my sister's debt. They said to get her to contact them. Yeah, right! She's never apologised. That's just one incident. It's bad enough that my mother gave her my street address and my home phone number. Her being able to use my email address in some way is not something I want to happen.

I have a couple of 'main' email addresses, but they're attached to stuff I do online. Do a search on the name part of them and you can end up here, or linked to other things I do online. Not really something I want someone of her calibre doing. I gave her an old h0t-male address that I only keep active in case I need to use chat. She seemed disappointed that it was my full name. That confirmed to me it was the right way to go.

Now cue the twilight zone music.

After a while, she said in passing, "Oh, have you heard about your brother?" Assuming she was talking about the only brother I have, not my step brother, I told her no. Apparently youngest sister (9 yrs older than me) did a 'net search on their (my three sisters) father and somehow discovered his son instead (as well?). Youngest sister had contacted their dad years ago and they'd exchanged photos, but there wasn't any real interest in keeping in touch, as far as I can recall, on his side. Having found his son and where he worked and lived, she wrote him a letter. He happens to be in the Navy in Sydney. I've mentioned here before, middle sister's new boyfriend is also Navy and is going to Sydney for a period of time before he gets sent to Perth later this year. Youngest sister asked middle sister's boyfriend if he knew the guy, or could get in touch with him, and if it was possible to pass the letter onto him. He agreed to do that, then looked at the name on the letter. It's his best friend. How weird is that??

Nobody's going to tell mum. I'm really not sure why eldest sister told me....apart from the weirdness factor.

4 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Fr a moment I thought you were going to say you found out T was your brother...

10:45 am  
Blogger Pittchick said...

wow, that was hard to follow!
I can't believe your sister would do something like that!

11:12 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

It was a bit tough to follow but I get that your eldest sister is not to be trusted. She sounds like a winner..lol

As for the brother and the sister's boyfriend, that IS weird. Six degrees of separation.. it's not such an unusual concept! :)

a

12:52 am  
Blogger consise10 said...

With a bloody sister like that...who needs enemies! What she did was appauling,and i don't blame you for not keeping close contact with her !

11:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home