Monday, May 29, 2006

Can we try that again, please?

I stayed home from work today. I didn't have the greatest of weekends and I woke up feeling pretty shite. Most of today has been spent lying on the couch watching bad daytime tv.

I exchanged a few texts with T and my phone was getting full, so I hooked it up to the computer to download my messages and clear the memory. Yes, I'm pathetic. I keep everything.

While my phone was still connected to the computer, it rang. I disconnected it, but somehow the call didn't come through properly. I assumed it was T. When it rang back, I answered as I usually do, but couldn't hear the person on the other end very well. It was a woman calling about a job I applied for last Thursday. A job offering a.lot.of.money. W-a-y more than I get now.

When I answered, I was still pretty sleepy, didn't have any lights on, couldn't find my pen and missed catching her name. Pre-interviews on the phone aren't all that common here, so I definitely wasn't expecting her to say she wanted to ask some questions about my skills/experience. That woke me up pretty quickly! Remind me to keep a bucket of ice water handy for future surprise phone interviews.

I think I answered well enough and she said she'd call me in a couple of days, but I'm not sure I said what she wanted to hear. I know I shouldn't write myself off so easily, but you can never really tell what they're thinking till you get that definite yes or no. On the bright side, if I do get an appointment, at least I know what things I need to clarify, that I might not have spat out properly while I was half asleep.

And if, by some strange miracle, I get that call back, I am going to memorise their entire website, visit all their venues (they're an entertainment group) and suck up so bad in the interview that they will beg me to take the job. I might even go so far as to wear makeup and put on heels (haha, I typed 'hells' initially) and a skirt. Show me the money!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Yeah, yeah........show me the money AFTER you feel better.

*sigh*
Gosh dangit....I'm not liking that you're continuing to feel cruddy.

8:46 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Rae, I had sworn off getting a job in the city too, but for what they're offering, I'm happy to make that sacrifice! LOL

Mel, I do feel a lot better now. I have an appt for the 26th that I'm hoping to bring forward. We'll see how that goes. I applied for two jobs on the same day. This one is way more money than any I've applied for so far. The other one is way more interesting to me. If I get call back for both, I'll have a dilemma on my hands!

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home