Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Afternoon blather

Using my trusty, albeit limited, Word thesaurus this afternoon, I was surprised to notice a spelling mistake. Among the list of alternatives for 'ramble', it suggested 'go off ona tangent'. Unless 'ona' is a new word I've yet to become properly acquainted with, me would think that the Word spell checker/thesaurus has got itself a busted wheel.

My email to teaching staff:
Just a reminder that the comment length for sports and services reports is ...... approximately 500 characters, or 100 words.

A response:
Is this 500 with or without spaces? I have one that is 102 words, another slightly fewer. Both high 400s for characters but well over 500 if spaces included.

What I wanted to reply:
Whydon'tyouexperiment?Dothemlikethisandseehowtheyturnout.Ifyouthinkitlooksfine,thenbyallmeans,eliminateallspaces.
However,ifyouthinkitlooksbetterwiththespaces,perhapsaddafewhereandthere.

What I did reply:
Yes. Spaces included.

Since I've just mentioned someone else's lack of thinking ability, it's only fair that I mention my own case of stupid today. This morning I was cleaning my face in the shower and G-d knows how, but I managed to shove my little finger into my mouth and scratch the inside of the top of my mouth with my fingernail, as well as taking a nice chunk out of my top lip. My bleeding lip now hurts like hell and I've been 'eating' it like a damn sucker fish all day to try to get rid of the sting. I'm almost 34 and still can't wash my face without injuring myself!

In other news, I applied for a job yesterday and got a call this morning for an interview on Monday afternoon. It's not one of the positions I've been most keen on so far, but it's only a few minutes from home and that's very appealing. I'm meeting with the MD and CFO, for a job supporting both of them. It's a family business, so I think they'll go into convulsions when I tell them what money I want. Whatever happens, it'll be good interview practice.

T's been telling me how wonderful and warm Perth is, compared to the cold, bitterness that is our Melbourne winter. Nineteen degrees ain't that much warmer than 15, methinks! He told me where he is in Kalgoorlie at the moment, it was less than 3 degrees yesterday morning. I told him he had weather envy and he's just jealous that it isn't cold all winter, like it is here. I won't be selling my winter coats when I move!

6 Comments:

Blogger Pittchick said...

Good luck on the interview! I was trying to picture how you hurt yourself in the shower, but I couldn't stop laughing! I hope your lip heals soon.

6:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL I hope your lip heals up soon too!

And cold? Brisbane airport got to 3 degrees a couple mornings ago, and up near Cairns apparently they got to -3! All the way up NORTH can you believe that?! Maybe we'll get snow this year. :D

7:08 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Do you take your face off before washing it in the shower? ;)

Good luck on the job. Oh, wait - that sounds rude haha. You know what I mean.

Is it really cold there right now? I'm so glad I'm not in my apartment if it is...

7:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, I cannot stop laughing at that email you contemplated sending back to your coworker... Too funny!

7:29 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

writingwithoutspacessavestime,dontchathink??

I laughed outloud about your face washing accident. Do you know how many times I've gotten my pinky finger stuck in my nostril while washing my face? It's a tough job!

;-)

10:07 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

DNA - I have no idea how I did it. T thinks I'm insane. All I'm worried about is that as it heals, it doesn't start to look like I have some horrid infection! LOL

E - -3 up there is not normal! I know it gets cold around the airport and places like Toowoomba and Ipswich...oh and Gympie was a bitch when I was there!...but Cairns? I didn't think it got below 30! :-p

Ian - sometimes I wish I could take my face off. Thanks for the luck. I might need it. Oh, and you will need your thermals by the time you get back. Don't spend all your money o/seas. You'll need some for a bigger heater!

Angela - girl, if only you knew the number of 'wish I could send but can't' emails I come up with!

G - you're right. And imagine how much more I could have typed in my life if I hadn't wasted all that time putting in spaces between words! With the pinky/nostril thing....I've done that too...sigh...

2:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home