Saturday, June 03, 2006

Well then...

The comments everyone made in my previous post don't help me. I say that in a sincerely appreciative way though, coz it proves my difficulty.

Because T and I are not in the same location, it's nice to have things around us, to make us feel more connected. For example, I keep the rocks and the sandalwood that he gave me on my tv. I get to see them each time I plant my butt on my couch, and they're a talking point when people come over (rare as that is!). I have the books (lots.of.books!) we've bought together, beside my bed. He's actually had to put together a whole new bookshelf just to store what he's bought recently! (And I just bought him more on eb@y! Eeep!)

Yesterday morning, I woke up in a good mood. By the afternoon, I didn't want to talk to anyone, even T, and I couldn't really work out why. Thankfully, the boy is patient and after I reassured him a thousand times that he hadn't done anything wrong, he let me wallow for a while. (Just an aside here, but why is it that guys can ask and ask and ask us incessantly what's wrong, or what they did, when we've explained that it's just us and they haven't done anything...yet if we ask them the same thing more than once, we're busting their arse or nagging?)

I really wasn't feeling like I wanted to talk to him last night. After sending him a few text messages of increasing frustration (see: I don't know what's wrong!! When I know, I'll tell you!!), he called me. He's brave sometimes. Haha! And patient.

I've been feeling pretty agitated lately. He's spent a lot of time away from home in the last few months and where he's going and when, changes frequently. Even though he's the one who's doing all the travelling, I've been having to adjust to it each time, too. He's been seriously time starved, working long hours and 7 day weeks, and will continue to be for a while. Part of the whole gift conversation we've had has been me feeling a little stuck because I can't send him things when I don't know where he's going to be, and he doesn't even have time to consider sending me anything...and besides, when he's out in the middle of nowhere, it's not like he can drop in to a shop or go on line to send me stuff.

Anyway, we ended up talking for about 2 1/2 hours, which is longer than we've been able to talk in a while. We talked about rational and irrational thoughts on the pros, cons and pressures of the expectations people have in relationships when it comes to giving and receiving things. He's pretty good. He goes out of his way to understand me. Doesn't always get there lol, but that's ok, coz I can't expect him to get what I'm thinking/feeling if I don't know myself.

He asked me what difference it would all make if I was living there. Um....I could see you! LOL

I don't often spoil myself. I suppose that's why I have trouble when it comes to giving suggestions to others about what I'd like. However, I did pick up another set of 4 (of the same) Waterford crystal glasses that I'd been paying off, last weekend. They're not cheap, but every six months, they have buy three, get one free. I think I should have the whole set of that collection in about 3 years... T and I joked that I'd have to store them in a glass fronted cabinet with a retina scan/laser beam security system so nobody could touch them. If we ever used them, people would have to wear white gloves and sign over their first born (assuming it was good looking and well behaved) if they chipped one. Sometimes I wish I was one of those girls who likes clothes, shoes, makeup and perfume. Alas, I'm not. No way I'm letting the boy buy me crystal though!

I was moodier yesterday afternoon than I'd been lately. Strange that it was also the first day I started taking vitamin B6...which is supposed to help alleviate freaky girl mood swings...

Now...I'm gonna throw this question out there.... What do you like as gifts? Don't be giving me that "massage/day spa/I don't need anything" stuff. As much as they're very cool and I would appreciate vouchers for those things, it's different from actually opening a box, kwim? If someone were to actually give you a thing and you had a choice on what it was, what would it be? Or...if you've already been given something that you thought was an awesome gift, what was it?

(Oh, and RG, I love those geek shirts. I want the one that says "I'm blogging this".)

6 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

Here's something I picked up for J. (We met at an Irish pub). I'm still debating the actual engraving I want, but I know which conversation it's referencing.

A CD can be nice- something you can put on that reminds you of good stuff while milling about the house.

Maybe a charm bracelet/anklet? He can pick up something wherever he goes... (It's easy to have small items made into charms.)

Other than that, I don't know. Wine of the month club? Flowers? A garden gnome? Basket of Lush bath goodies?

12:41 am  
Blogger thyst said...

Music...I love music. And as corny as it may sound, I love a "mix tape". When someone takes the time to put together songs they think I may like, I just melt. I also really appreciate gifts which help me make a house my home. Gift cards for a hardware or homestore, my favorite cooking essentials, or that new bedspread I had my eye on are all good. Ooohhh...I just had a good idea. Try to put together things that recreate the best date you had together...scents, sites, small objects. Send it off in a box.

2:51 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I was going to say mixed tape too. I like getting those and making those because you get a nice reminder of the other person. :)
Irish and I don't really buy gifts but I try to get him little bits and pieces that make life easier. That let him know I was thinking of him. He does that too. Things I'd like him to get me: massages, CDs, a bike. But really, he does the dishes, he goes shopping with me when we both hate it and waits outside and tells me I look great when I come out, he cleans the bathroom. That's better than any gift. Sorry, I guess I wasn't much of a help. :))

hugs,
a

4:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love getting nice bedding as a gift...like some high-thread-count sheets in a color I particularly like...or a feather pillow. I guess I like that stuff because it's practical but it's luxurious too. And I'm not likely to buy myself really nice (see:sorta expensive)sheets. Hmm...now that I mention it, anything for the bedroom could be very romantic - a luxurious pillow, a little lamp with a sexy dark red shade, potpourri, a sex swing (oh crap, did I say that out loud?)...uh, uh...candles....

:)

6:20 am  
Blogger consise10 said...

'Troy' recently purchased a Longines time piece to strap around my disorganised wrist, as a gesture of a new beginining after quiting my job.It was kind of nice to see that he thought of it being a symbol for a new start.(Me being me I have already misplaced it around a dozen times!)

But seriously E in Oz,whatever one makes with their bare hands and gives, always touches me in a special way.

10:06 pm  
Blogger Pittchick said...

I'm not really big on jewlery, but I would love a simple silver bracelet from Tiffany's. There's just something special about that blue box!
I also like practical gifts, especially for the kitchen!
My husband doesn't do surprises. He just tells me to go buy something if I want it.
I wouldn't know what to do if he ever picked something out on his own and gave it to me all the while keeping it a surprise!

3:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home