Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Sticks and stones

I wonder if the gifts one gets given are an indication of who that person is, or an indication of who other people think that person is.

One of the teachers found a weapon made by some students today. He gave it to me. It's a long piece of wood, with a carefully carved spike on one end, with wire around the bottom half of it. Pretty painful if you were to end up on the wrong end of it. This teacher knows me well, because he knew I'd be impressed. I kept it on my desk and pretended to stab everyone who came to close to me.


















And these are the rocks that T gave me. One has natural 'folds' in it and the other has flecks of gold through it, which I hope will show in the photos. That piece is from a mine in Timor, about 800 feet under ground (I think!).




































It's official. Gone are the days of flowers and chocolates. Gimme sticks and stones and I'm one content gal.

I shoulda been a caveman....er, woman.

6 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

Sticks and stones? LOL. Well, E... it's definitely a unique token of affection!

6:57 am  
Blogger issuational said...

It kind of reminds me of this story my dad tells about one of my cousins who was about four at the time, my Dad caught him sharpening a stick on another piece of wood, he asked him what he was doing he said 'I'm making a knife' then started stabbing the air with it...
flowers are an over rated gift, at least sticks and stones have alternate uses...

7:37 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

I'm with ya on that. My favorite presents are electronic gadgets. Who cares about candy and flowers!

9:07 am  
Blogger SJ said...

You work with Zulus

11:33 am  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

STUDENTS made that weapon and had it with them at SCHOOL?? were they suspended? expelled? eesh, at my school, we have a "zero tolerance" policy regarding weapons. those kids asses woulda been grasses!

lovely rocks, btw ;-)

7:15 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Issuational, thanks for dropping by. Hope you stay.

Ian, you know it's true! 1850 of them under the age of 18. LOL

G, lucky for the boys, they left it lying around and the teacher found it, so nobody to punish (school's finished for the year). Mind you, the fees the parents pay at our school are enough to scare off any contemplation of expulsion (unfortunately). They'd probably get a few days detention. Then again, a boy got 'stabbed' by something similar last year (by accident)....the boy that got stabbed was made to stay home to 'recover'. The boy who accidentally set off the 'weapon' was so 'distressed' he wasn't punished. Go figure.

7:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home