Friday, October 29, 2004

Hitchhiker

We had awful weather here earlier in the week. I got drenched walking from my car to my office and then again at lunch time.

But I just remembered something odd that occured on my way to work. I just pulled out of my street and the rain was so hard it almost felt like hail. The wind was blowing with such a force that when I stopped at an intersection, my car was rocking.

I turned the corner and there's a guy standing under a tree for protection, but not having much luck. Next thing I know, he's put out his thumb as if for me to give him a lift. I couldn't believe it. Normally, I may have considered it, but a) he was drenched, b) I wouldn't trust anyone hitching in my area, and c) it was 7.45am and I was on my way to work. What's he think? That I'm going to just call work and tell them I'll be late because I had to drop off a hitchhiker somewhere?

I understand the poor guy probably just wanted a lift in the rain, but it wasn't going to be from me.

2 Comments:

Blogger live-on-the-weeki said...

As a woman alone, I wouldn't have stopped either. In today's day-in-age you never know what to think about people. Don't feel bad for not stopping. It sounds as though Spring for Down Under is coming in like a Lion. Whereas, here in Florida, we never really get a change of seasons. I can almost guarantee that it will be in the 80s on Christmas Day. Typically for Florida. Any, I have really enjoyed reading your entries, you seem to have a very interesting life and live in a most intriguing country. Please keep writing.

1:51 pm  
Blogger Bradley Robb said...

Well... at least you didn't hit him...

2:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home