Saturday, October 16, 2004

Visit #2 with Dr Fun-Killer

Colin. That's my naturopath's name. I saw him again today at my now weekly visit. You, I'm sure, will be as pleased as I am to know that I no longer have to eat chalk every day. I do have the choice though, to continue drinking the apple cider vinegar. Yippeee! Methinks I might. Well, I'll start putting it on my salad anyway. It's not like I've been bounding out of bed each morning, clicking my heels in anticipation of drinking the stuff, but it's not completely awful...almost.

I woke up miserable today. To the point where I really needed a good cry. Once I left the house though, I was fine. I didn't cry. Then Colin told me that I'd actually put on a bit of weight this week! WTF? Ok, then I wanted to cry again! All that chalk eating, drop taking and vinegar swallowing did squat! "Oh, but it doesn't mean much, it was just to condition your body for the routine." Ha! Fine for him to say that! When I left his office, he said, "well I hope to see less of you next week". Must be a naturopath in-joke or something, but it did amuse me slightly.

Anyway, no more chalk swallowing for this little black duck. I do still have to take the Renetone drops each morning, but they're bearable now. But there are two more things I have to take. The first is flaxseed oil in capsule form. Going by the website I've linked, flaxseed oil is good for just about anything coz it contains Omega 3 and other essential fatty acids. See? You learnt something today!

The second thing I have to take is another liquid called Natural Weigh. I couldn't find any net resources on it. The booklet I have says it's helpful in improving glucose and insulin action, thermogenisis and basal metabolic rate. Whatever. Really it means that stored fat is turned into energy and with the improved energy, you become more alert etc due to less toxins in the bloodstream.

I had to go out and buy a set of kitchen scales. I'm supposed to weigh my food portions and write down what I've eaten during the day, that I've taken all the gunk I've got to drink, and that I've been drinking water and exercising. This is gonna suck! Big time! I hate cooking, because I hate to prepare things and now everything revolves around preparation!

Oh the other thing I have to do is pee on a stick each morning. Oh the joys!! This is to determine if my body is burning enough or too much fat. Well, that's the simple version. Read up if you really want to know more lol.

They say some of the side effects for the first week are fatigue, headaches and the like, from your body adjusting to less sugar, getting rid of fat etc. And the best one - bad breath! Which brings me to:

Things I can't have this week:
  • Sugar - none at all. Sugar suplements are fine.
  • Salt - none at all. Well, that's ok. I don't eat all that much.
  • Milk - none at all. "A splash of milk in a hot drink is acceptable". Gee, thanks.
  • Alcohol - none at all. Did you know that alcohol is the first fuel to burn, so your body won't burn fat? See, you learnt something else.
  • Caffeine. After I overdosed on it last week, I can handle this. Two cups per day, max.
  • Fun. No fun allowed apparently. Who has time for it with all this oil drinking and food weighing?
  • Sex. No, none of that either. The fatigue, headaches and bad breath should ensure that won't be happening any time soon!
The bit that amazed me was that Colin said I would notice a difference in my body this week, then more next week. He said that I'll notice fat reduction around my upper body this week, then lower body next week. Meanwhile, I wondered how my body would know that in week one it's gotta get rid of fat around the bra line, week two, it does the hips and butt. He said I'd actually be able to tell by the way my clothes fit by the end of the week. Needless to say, this interested me a lot!

Now you're probably thinking it sounds all a bit obsession-like. It's not really. I'm not fat. But for my height, age, etc, my fat percentage is high, so it needs to come down and gym work alone hasn't been helping.

I've never done anything like this before. Never really dieted, so it's a huge challenge for me in a lot of ways.

It's just shy of 8pm now and I'm dying for some chocolate. Maybe I'll just go to bed early so I don't have to think about it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Atkins diet sort of - especially that no-fun element. You may have a headache after about 3 days, but hang in there! The cravings go away pretty soon. :)

5:07 am  
Blogger Meg: said...

Egad that sounds like a LOT of work! Wowzah...I'd be done with it in about...six minutes. :) Good luck to ya.

12:06 pm  
Blogger Pickwick said...

Hi, I'm a first-time visitor, so really have no idea where all this stems from, but wanted to try to inspire you by saying that I've lost 13kg this year - without naturopathic goop to swallow either - and if I can, anyone can! I didn't think I even had so much to lose!

His guestimate that you'll start to notice a change in a week I feel may be a little over-zealous. I say this only as I'd hate to see you disheartened from the outset. You do lose it off your face, upper-arms and chest first, though. I don't know why. It just is. Took me a couple of weeks to get that, but before then, the scales told me I was on the way.

My technique? A bastardised version of Weight-watchers (no hideous meetings) which I'm now not vigilant with, but still slowly losing weight, so it must have become a lifestyle thing. Yay! And I still weigh myself every Friday morning, to keep myself honest. Why Friday? Cos I can be naughty on the weekend and have 5 days to make up for it;-)

Good luck!

9:02 am  
Blogger Rob Burton said...

Flaxseed oil is a wonder oil and is almost perfectly balanced. Its better if you buy it cold pressed, a tea spoonful a day is great it has a nutty taste. I also use it when I make bread - a breadmaker is a great boys toy!, plus I even add flax seeds (or linseeds as we call them) for a nutty texture.

Hemp oil is also fantastic and even more balanced than flax seed flax has no omega 6's (i think) there is a great book called Fats that heal and fats that kill that tells you all about it.
I use flax to lower clorestorol I am now below the UK's national average.

keep it up!

7:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home