Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Three days down....two to go

For someone who never intended to get into IT, I've done that many courses in the past three years that I have a dedicated in-tray for my certificates on my desk at work. Seriously!

This week's course is Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2000. I did the Querying course two years ago. There is another course that's supposed to be done in between the two. Somehow, nobody thought it'd be necessary for me to do the middle one.

So I've been sitting there this week trying to remember things I learnt two years ago, pretending to know what the guy is talking about when he refers to things taught in the second course, and trying to not feel like my brain is working so hard that it's about to explode and seep out my ears and onto the desk that I've been struggling not to fall asleep on by 2pm each day.

Coffee and I usually don't mix too well. Not good for someone whose heart already beats a little too irregularly. But I've lived on coffee and water (and free lunches) the last three days. Coffee to help to keep me alert. Water to give me frequent need to get up from the desk and go pee so I don't fall asleep or have brain meltdown - whichever comes first.

But only two more days. I'll be glad to get the damned piece of paper for this one. I'll certainly have earned it.

It doesn't stop there, of course. Next week I have another two Microsoft applications courses with a whole different training company.

I'm blonde! Nobody ever told me I would have to think this hard!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben Ferguson said...

Eve,
I am retarded. Can you instruct me on the intracacies of inserting links, italics, different fonts, etc. into your weblogs? You can email me if you'd like; the address is on my profile page.

5:33 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Yeah- good... when you're done, you can help me figure out how to convert my stupid movie database into SQL so I can put it on my web server. My hubby has a problem- over 850 DVDs... I think there should be a clinic out there for him, right?

8:27 am  
Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Where would you like that cookie bouquet sent?! I was a database programmer and systems analyst in a "previous life", and at least in teaching, the little faces are waaaaaay more inspiring than the whining and complaining that greets most IT professionals! Let me put it this way: as a teacher, I'd rather work with kids, than teachers, any day!

As far as teachers who insist on being called "academics", well, they aren't teaching elementary school, I'd bet. That level of pomposity is generally reserved for the university level, at least here in the states. Teaching grade school is pretty gritty, and I would venture that very few could find the "glamour" in it!

Hang in there....it's already Wednesday!
- Mia

3:10 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Mia, I work in an elitist private school (one of 'the' schools in the country). That should say it all! Not a university - everything else from prep to senior.
...sigh... lol

6:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home