Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Goodbye or Hello

I'm in a bit of a predicament. It never really occurred to me when I started my job just how much - I was going to say 'power', but that's not the right word - how much influence and input I would have over some big company-wide decisions.

A couple of weeks ago, we had two meetings with potential telco providers (resellers), organised by a major telco. The relationship that telco has with our current provider will cease at the end of June, so we need to find somewhere else.

One of the dealers is well recognised and has been operating for years. The other is a start up company that's been in operation less than a year, but it's a breakaway company of the one we deal with now, and a competitor.

Telco guy asked me to tell the start up dealer what I would change about the relationship I have with our current provider. I said, if we're talking specifically about who I deal with, then I have no complaints at all, because I think A is a legend. I said those words. Little did I know, the dealer knew who I was talking about and also gave positive feedback. In fact, the woman who they have allocated as our client rep used to do A's job - he got his job when she moved to the start up and they know each other well.

After the meetings, we (me and one of the guys I work with who I look to as sort of a boss, (because my boss has been seconded off site the whole time I've been there) but he's not really) were leaning towards the start up company, for a number of reasons, but I had some concerns. In addition, it wasn't really a serious idea, but we joked about making our decision contingent on the start up taking on board A, the guy I deal with now.

So I sent an email asking for clarification on some items and added that a wish list item would be that they take A on board, too. They replied back that they couldn't go after him, but they'd be open if he approached them.

I had already spoken to A about this, as we have more of a friendship relationship than a business one. He says I'm more like a girlfriend, because I call to bust his butt so many times a day. I say he's like a boyfriend, because he never answers or returns my calls, and if he did, I wouldn't have to keep calling. We get on well. It just works.

Anyway, A said he would be interested in moving to the start up. I told him he would have to approach them, but they're open to talking. He's seriously considering it. Not just because of my company/me, but because his company is undergoing changes he's not happy about, come the end of June.

And now? I feel a little guilty/nervous about having some influence in A's employment fate. He's only 21 and could be easily swayed by any of the players in this. Soon, I'll be emailing the start up to accept them as our dealer. I would love for them to take A on board. He's very keen on the idea, too.

However, my boss - the one I rarely see or deal with - makes some pretty...emotional... business decisions at times, without discussing them with any of the rest of us, and I worry that he could pull the plug on the whole thing after the fact (although I'm sure contracts will have to be signed).

I know A is free to make whatever employment choices he chooses, and he did say he'd considered approaching the start up before I mentioned it.... Still, I want him to do what's best for him overall and not just what I want, because I don't want to have to deal with someone new.

And that's the short version!

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Admit it - you sit at home at night with your hair piled up on your head, pretendng to be Donald Trump and shouting "You're Fired!"... ;)

11:52 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

The POOOOOOWWWWEEEEEERRRR!!!!! MU-HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Hee hee.

And now for a shower so I can head off to my useless job where I wield no influence whatsoever.

12:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home