Saturday, November 18, 2006

Riding in cars with boys

Sometimes the best laid plans....

Last night was eventful and enlightening. I arranged to meet J close to where we were going to dinner. Just as I left home, he rang to say he was 1/2 way there and his truck had broken down. I said that's fine, I'll keep going and try to find somewhere we can both park. By the time I got to the area, he'd called again and said he'd started up again and was on his way. I kept driving around looking for somewhere to park. He called again and said he needed the auto care people to come out and look at his battery. The guy sorted it out (they thought) and he was on his way again. Next, the truck died completely and needed to be towed. Thankfully, he was only about 5 minutes drive from where I was waiting, so I drove down there to pick him up and wait for the tow truck. The whole debacle started around 7.30pm and the tow truck got there at 9.30pm. It was cold out, so we sat in his truck and listened to music with the aircon on, while we waited. Interesting conversation that was!

We talked about the difference between girls who dress in revealing clothes and look like skanks and girls who dress in revealing clothes and look confident. We also discussed the drunken pack mentality of men when they're out in a social environment. After that, we tackled personal lives. Mr So-not-right is not only not right for me, but has a complicated life of his own. Turns out he still lives with his ex who he broke up with 3 months ago and she'll be there in the house with him and his brother and SIL for another two weeks. They have to do paperwork to sign the house over to him, then it's done. I believe that, coz he told me that the other night before he knew he'd be seeing me again. That she is in fact now his ex was fairly well proven later on in the night when he said I could stay over. Methinks that scenario would make for a rather uncomfortable breakfast time! I declined. More on that later....

The tow truck came and by that stage it was getting closer to 10pm. We hadn't eaten, we were starving and seriously considered calling a pizza to the car while we waited. Instead, while they loaded the truck, I rang a restaurant, asked them what time the kitchen closed (10.30) and told them we'd be there by 10.15. After having driven around again for a while trying to find parking one more time, we only just made it. It was sooo good to finally eat after all that, but we were so hungry we couldn't eat all our food. I know that sounds like it doesn't make sense, but it does.

When the restaurant staff started stacking chairs and tables around us and the other late diners, we decided it was time to go. We didn't want to go home yet, but we didn't want to go somewhere else and he wanted to have a cigarette, so we went to a park....in the cold....at midnight... It was kinda cool though, coz there were a number of people about, but also, there was a family of possums running around on the ground. I tried to take photos with my phone, but they came out pretty much just black. While I had my back turned to look at two possums, another one came right up to our seat and started getting comfy with my foot...till I noticed, and it ran off.

The conversation in the park turned to exciting stuff like mining, earthmoving equipment and "if only I hadn't made that decision" type reflections. (The dinner conversation included the story of the last girl he went out on a date with - a stripper who he found out was on heroin, so that was the first and last time he saw her.) It got cold again, so we sat back in the car and listened to music till I needed the bathroom. The dubiously unlit public amenities lacked paper, so back in the car we got, and drove to a service station to use their facilities so I wouldn't explode. (Exciting story, huh?)

More sitting in the car ensued, till we thought it might be a good idea to be getting home. J's auto club said they'd cover the cost of a taxi back to his place, but I offered to drive (and hoped he declined, coz I was seriously tired and already half falling asleep), because I felt bad that he had to get a taxi home. He said if I did, I could stay the night. I said that wouldn't bother me (because there wouldn't be anything going on!), but it probably wouldn't go down well with the other people in the house, so I said no and we decided he'd catch the taxi home. I got home at 4am - by myself, thankyouverymuch - and I'm tired still.

He does party drugs, he smokes cigarettes and pot, he likes boxing (which I hate), he frequents strip clubs (which I hate), he doesn't read books (disappointing), and pretty much does everything else that is in opposition to what I agree with, like and want. How we're getting on at all, I have no idea. Especially since we spent most of the damn night either driving or simply sitting in our cars.

And Ian, my $20 is still safe.

5 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

Sometimes spending $20 can be worth it ;)

6:36 pm  
Blogger monica said...

:) Leave it to Ian.

10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Baby seems we never ever agree
You like the movies
And I like T.V.
I take things serious
And you take 'em light
I go to bed early
And I party all night
Our friends are sayin'
We ain't gonna last
Cuz I move slowly
And baby I'm fast
I like it quiet
And I love to shout
But when we get together
It just all works out

I take--2 steps forward
I take--2 steps back
We come together
Cuz opposites attract
And you know--it ain't fiction
Just a natural fact
We come together
Cuz opposites attract

Who'd a thought we could be lovers
She makes the bed
And he steals the covers
She likes it neat
And he makes a mess
I take it easy
Baby I get obsessed
She's got the money
And he's always broke
I don't like cigarettes
And I like to smoke
Things in common
There just ain't a one
But when we get together
We have nothin' but fun

I take--2 steps forward
I take--2 steps back
We come together
Cuz opposites attract
And you know--it ain't fiction
Just a natural fact
We come together
Cuz opposites attract

Baby ain't it somethin'
How we lasted this long
You and me
Provin' everyone wrong
Don't think we'll ever
Get our differences patched
Don't really matter
Cuz we're perfectly matched"

Hee! That Paula, she is so wise! ;)

3:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you already know this ain't goin anywhere fast ... so maybe it's just for company and no worries hey?

9:17 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

SJ, I'll hold off on that investment for now. :-p

M, don't encourage him, woman! LOL

Angela, I can picture you doing that karaoke style, in one of those pairs of shoes you posted. hehe

Aggie, it's going nowhere just as fast as his car! LOL The company is nice, but that's it. My brain can't deal with anything else right now.

12:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home