Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Impossible Pie

I was thinking about a recipe I gave E on her blog and remembered a book my dad gave me. Last night, I was going through it over the phone with him. It's a very old fashioned cook book (1850s) with some more than unusual recipes.

One is Impossible Pie. When he first told me about it, before he sent me the book, I wondered what was so impossible about it and if it was impossible, why'd they have it in a book and expect people to try to make it? A challenge, perhaps? Here's the recipe exactly as the book says it:

4 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup plain flour
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat all ingredients together, having put them into the bowl in given order. Bake 1 hour in moderate oven in a greased large pie plate. This mixture makes a flour base, custard centre and coconut topping.


Reading that, I worked out what 'impossible' means. Unless of course someone can explain to me how mixing all those ingredients in the same bowl will give you a separate base, centre and topping. Anyone dare to make it and let me know what happens?? I want photos too.

Here are a few more of the questionable edibles listed:

Beef Tea - listed as "a mild stimulant, but not very nourishing"
Never Fail Pastry - maybe they should use that in Impossible Pie?
Health Salad - main ingredients cabbage and silverbeet.
Tasty Dog Biscuits - I think these are for dogs, but it's listed right under Coconut Delights.
Chilli Beer - really, you don't want to know.
Roasted Wallaby - for the patriotic folk.
Little Pigs in Blankets - um, ok.
Plain Fricasseed Brains - sounds lovely huh?

I'll happily post the details of those recipes for anyone who wants them!

There are some awesome yummy sounding recipes too...the type that add 30 thousand calories just by reading what's in them. The same cookbook also has recipes for different soaps, ointments, cough mixtures, cures for hiccups and removing splinters. Oh, and apparently grated nutmeg in a cup of boiling water will cure a severe headache. I'm not gonna try that one.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pigs in Blankets... those are just mini hotdogs right? Wrapped in pastry? Possibly with bacon thrown in there? Those were super yummy if I recall.

And I think I might like to try that impossible pie recipe, but it will have to wait until the weekend when we go grocery shopping. I'm going to need heaps of luck though; our oven tends not to like deep dish items as it never cooks anything all the way through or in the middle so it may not turn out right anyway. But I'll give it a go!

9:10 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Impossible pie. Sounds like the end objective of a date to me :(

6:47 am  
Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh my god, I don't want to but in. . .

but

I had a spare moment or two and was reading melsdream and followed one of your comments to here. . .

and I have to tell you that my god mother gave my mother THAT EXACT same recipe about thirty years ago (they are both dead now) and I still have it on the typed up sheet that my god mother gave to my mother, tucked away in her recipe book (you know those little note book recipe books where you write your favourite recipes down and it has a little folder where you can slip in cuttings from magazines?) (sorry, I'm rambling)

anyhow, if you like coconut cake and custard, it's a great recipe

I am the only one in my house who does, so I get to scoff the lot

when I get a chance tomorrow I'm going to hook up the scanner and scan in that recipe and post it, but it doesn't come with a picture which is what you really wanted. . .

9:53 am  
Blogger I, Like The View said...

should that have been butt in?

apologies for intrusion if unwanted

just couldn't believe the coincidence!

9:54 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

No, no! The more the merrier here, methinks! Please feel free to stick around and comment all you like.

Funny coincidence about the recipe. Now that I know that someone's actually made it, I think the name should be changed to Possible Pie...coz it is, it would seem!

Nice to have you here. :-)

10:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home