Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Nothin' like a challenge!

I had my interview today for the job I want (as opposed to the job I've been offered). It went really well. Yes, it was difficult to talk and if they didn't give me water, I may not have been able to at all, but overall I was relaxed and they seemed like really nice people to work with.

First impression? The Irish girl on the desk who replied, "That's grand" to something I said. It's not a phrase you hear all the time, so it was kinda funny and I decided I liked her. The building was a bit like the Tardis. It looked very small on the outside, but once you stepped through the door, it was huge, like a warehouse, but fitted out in a very modern, trendy style. The people? Geez, it was like walking into a fashion magazine shoot. Very nice looking girls, rather attractive boys. And they were all nice! The other good thing is that they're all a little offbeat, eccentric type personalities and all very, very smart. The mental stimulation working in a place like that would be great.

Nice looking boy David watched me do a test on the computer that they were having everyone do. He said nobody had got everything right so far. That was enough for me. Sometimes I surprise myself with what makes me competitive. Anyway, I kicked arse on the test (complex formatting/editing of a document), which I found pretty easy, overall. The one thing I didn't get was because I was stupid and he even said, "I know you just were over-thinking that one". Ha, so he excused the mistake. Wheee! I'm good! Ha!

They're seeing more people today, having a think day tomorrow, ringing references on Thursday and I should know by Friday if I've got the job. Of course that means I have to stall giving back the documents for the job I have, and I feel incredibly guilty, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess.

Talking - well, trying to talk - for an hour did nothing to help my voice come back. I can just about sound normal most of the time, with no noise coming out only occasionally now, but I think I'm done speaking for the day. I'm going out tonight with my girlfriend T who, incidentally, also lost her voice last week. It could be an interesting night.

Now I'm going to go lie in the sun in my courtyard, while we still have some. It'd be nice if the weather remembered it's supposed to be warm now, not completely arse freezing!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you land it! Who knows, you might start a bidding war between the two companies, and you may just end up with a bigger pay cheque than you first thought. ;)

Also... thank you for correcting the condensed milk issue for me; I had written down the plain one instead of the sweetened so it probably wouldn't have turned out like your recipe and instead I'd have been sitting there eating them and thinking, "WTF was she on about?!" LOL

5:06 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Ha, that'd be nice if they did!

And yeah, I could imagine you sitting there going, ok, she said these are addictive, but they taste like crap. LOL I'm glad you didn't rush right out to make them that instant!

8:34 pm  
Blogger Anonymous G said...

The job interview today went GREAT, if you ask me. Sounds like an interesting place to work. AND...You showed Cute Boy David how to kick butt!!

Good luck with it all....Crossing stuff for you over here.

xo

1:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home