Friday, October 27, 2006

Whatchu say?

Sometime between waking up this morning (not that I was actually asleep all that long last night) and lunch time today, my voice decided to take a leave of absence. Not completely, but just enough to make me sound like an old drag queen who's spent far too much time in smoky lounge bars.....strangely deep and somewhat husky. It'd probably be sorta sexy if I worked on one of those phone lines and I didn't feel like crap. However, since I don't work as a $4.95 per minute (extra charges may apply to mobiles and payphones) call centre person, it's just a total pain. Literally, too.

After spending $30+ on over the counter things to get me through the night, it was suggested to me, by the pharmacist, that I should get my butt to a doctor first thing tomorrow. Apparently, the gunk that's chosen to inhabit my sinuses felt the need to also set up shop in my lungs. After hearing how I sounded, and recognising that my head was about to explode, and my lungs were being strangled by foul green gunk that shouldn't be there, he said I'm about this far >< from having a serious infection. Thanks dude. Just gimme drugs that'll make me feel human till I can get to the doc.

The paperwork I have to sign for the new job arrived today, as did an email from the guy who'll be my new boss. He said it's "fantastic" that I'll be joining them....which made me feel a whole lot worse when I got a call that I was shortlisted for an interview with the other job I was/am more interested in. A bird in the hand, or consider all options before signing? I'm not sure yet.

13 Comments:

Blogger grrltraveler said...

I remember being in that situation before... having a good job with the possibility of getting a better job. It is a guilt creating situation but it's guilt creating because you probably really want the second job. and if that's the case, you should take it if it's offered to you. life is too short to be unhappy doing something when you could have been doing something you liked better! and that guilt feeling will only last until you tell the first guy you don't want the job, and then it's all RELIEF. :) (Of course, you might want to wait until you find out about the other job first! lol)

good luck,
hugs,
a

2:31 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

it would seem like i ignored the part about you being sick! i was so intent on the job part of the blog. :)

i hope you feel better - get thyself to the doctor and clear this shite up! of course, it may give you a few more days to put off going to the new job! :)

hugs,

2:32 am  
Blogger SJ said...

If you have to call and say you're not taking the job at least the guy will get a boner from your voice :)

6:18 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

SJ, the way I am now, he'd have to know sign language, coz I just about have no voice at all now. Can't remember the last time that happened.

A, I think I'd be much happier doing the second job, coz it'll get me out of strictly IT. The guy called me back yesterday evening (hard to talk to a prospective employer when you don't have a voice!) and convinced me to go see them for a chat on Tues morning. I'm feeling very guilty, but I do know I have to do what's best for me in the end.

7:48 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Maybe he thought he was hiring Marge Simpson

9:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could call job #2 and explain that you're actually more interested in the position they're offering but you've just been offered another job. Ask them if they would consider interviewing you in the very near future. It'll make you sound more in-demand to them and it would be better than just writing off this better job possibility.

9:16 am  
Blogger Mel said...

Feel better, dangit!!
(I feel for ya--mine's hangin' on and it's getting veryyyyyyy old!)

And there's always honesty! I like Sandy's suggestion--maybe they'd hurry along that interview if they knew the circumstances? On the other hand, maybe you'd be too sickly?

*scratching head*
Tis a puzzlement!!

11:01 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

SJ, even Marge sounds way sexier than I do now. I've had to do sign language with every damn person I've tried to talk to today.

I've got an interview for Tuesday morning. The doc says I may have no voice for the next 2-3 days. This could be interesting...

11:30 am  
Blogger monica said...

Hope you feel better soon!

But still... so excited about the new job!!!! Congrats, I know you've been wanting to ditch that school for some time now!!!

Like A said, "You only live once!"

Make it count!

5:06 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

" "

8:30 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

" a th op k n"

9:04 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Anthony Hopkins?

11:18 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

LOL not Anthony Hopkins. I didn't even realise that till you said it. Too funny! Mind you, I could have been saying anything over the weekend and nobody would have known.

2:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home