Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ph-only things were less complicated

I believe I'm almost free of my evil phone company. Yes, I thought it'd all be resolved before now. For the most part it is, but I have to wait a while till the two phone companies can exchange paperwork "for legal reasons", before my services are swapped over.

However, it pays to have a bit of a bitch about your old company when you're signing up with a new company. Not wanting to be burnt again (oh G-d, I hope I've made the right choices!!), I researched exactly what I wanted and had the woman explain to me again what I will be getting for my dollar. She was very helpful. And generous. She offered me free long distance or mobile calls for the first two months. I asked what the catch was. Nothing. "It sounds like you've had a hard time, so this is just something we'd like to do for you." So...in ten or so days time, when all my details get switched over, I'll be getting $100 worth of long distance calls a month for the first two months. Aaaand I'm not on a contract at all.

And on my mobile......up to 200 free texts after 8pm each night to the same carrier. They're sending my new card to T's place, so I can pick it up on Monday. Haha my first mail to his address. Markin' my territory! Wonder if he realises.... :-p hehe

I'm gonna be able to talk/text with T for the next couple of months for virtually nothing!! Wooohoooooo!

Just wait though. I know how the next scene plays out. My old phone company will try to charge me penalties for quitting my contract early...even though they said they won't.

Right now, I'm happy and relieved.

Thought I should come back and edit this to add, for the benefit of people who don't live in this country (whose telecommunications provision happens to be monopolised by only two major players), that we get NU-thin' for free here. Gotta pay for line rental, local calls, international, long distance, mobile, you name it. Unless, of course, you're using VOIP, then you only pay about 10c, but that's moot, coz I can't use that at the mo'.

There's pretty much no competition for telecommunications services, because the minor players, of which there are few, simply cannot compete with the two major companies. Little choice means they can charge what they like. So free long distance and free texting is kinda like Christmas for me, especially considering this saga has dragged on as long as it has.

I hate the fact that I've had to resort to using a company I didn't want to use, on principle, because I think they're too much into making money and not enough into worrying about their customers (like any other company, I hear you say)....but at least they're not misleading in any way about what they've offered me, or what I'm going to pay.

And they're giving me free calls for no reason. Free is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home