Friday, August 12, 2005

Rainy days and Sundays

It's taken me all week to get around to saying (on here) what C did for me for my birthday last Sunday.

After a card and flowers on Friday night and a foot massage and dinner on Saturday night, I was pretty pleased. He wouldn't tell me what he had planned for Sunday. I just knew I had to get up early because we had to drive somewhere.

He took me to lunch at the Boathouse in Daylesford (first pic on the right, here). It was cold, rainy and windy and my lunch was pretty ordinary, but we had a good time. I took a photo of the temperature in the car on the way there, but it didn't come out well. It showed that the temperature at 11.48am was 4.5C (40.1F). My birthday is always damn cold!

Afterwards, we drove to Hepburn Springs to the spa resort and I got treated to the best 45 minute massage, followed by a 40 minute double mineral spa with the boy, with lavendar and essential oils.

On the way home, we took a detour through a small town called Trentham, which was pretty quiet, considering it was late Sunday afternoon. We wanted to stop somewhere for coffee and there seemed to be only one place open, so we went in there. It was a little restaurant called The Chimney and it was actually a house. There was an entrance to the restaurant off the street, but it looked closed, so we tried another door. It had a long hallway, with lots of photos and paintings hanging, and through the doors you could see they were making clothes and other items for sale. It really made us feel like we were walking through someone's house, rather than stopping in to buy coffees. Turns out they were actually closed and were preparing for dinner, but they had a log fire going and let us sit next to it for as long as we wanted.

The guy who owns it is Austrian, as were, I assume, the rest of the people who worked there, because they certainly weren't speaking much English.













This is one side of the actual restaurant part of the place. Most of the entire wall is a bookshelf and there appear to be some really interesting books there, but we had no idea what most of them were about, because the majority were not written in English. I should have taken a picture of the other wall and the paintings on it as well.














This one is looking towards the back of the place, from the fireplace, where we were sitting. It looks and has the feel of being in someone's house. As we left, they were preparing vegetables for the dinner clients and it was hard not to feel like you were snooping in a kitchen you weren't supposed to be in. I didn't want to take too many photos for that reason.














This is the front of the place. They were doing Christmas in July and hadn't yet taken down all the decorations, but it just added to the warm atmosphere. One of the things they do, which we think is great, is dinner and a movie nights. They put on a traditional roast (for example), then show old movies, kids movies etc, depending on the night. They also do theme nights like sampling several different types of strudels or other authentic dishes. It's pretty cool and we'll definitely go back some time. The hour drive there is worth it.

I was really impressed with the boy and the effort he took to give me a great weekend. I can be a bit of a party pooper when it comes to my own birthday, so I'm grateful about the lengths he went to to make me happy.

I'd post a pic or two that I took of him when we were having our coffees, but he's got a bit of that movie critic look happening, complete with the tight black turtleneck sweater, so I don't think he'd be pleased with me if I did.

2 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Wow, that sounds like a GREAT birthday. I agree, it's really nice that he put in so much thought and effort.

He gets two thumbs up!

12:04 am  
Blogger SJ said...

I hope he's going to do the same for me for my birthday!

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home