Wednesday, June 22, 2005

And to all my blog readers...

....I leave my.....

Ever wondered what they are gonna do to you when you die? Or what you'd like done?

The other day on the radio, they were discussing the pros and cons of cremation or burial. In part of the conversation, one person rang in and said that someone in their family had asked that his ashes be spread outside the door of his favourite pub so that when people walked in, they could walk him back in again. Another wanted the standard 'toss my ashes out to sea' thing.

I don't know what I'd like done with me. I can't decide between burial and cremation. In all honesty, I don't want to think about it. I feel like it's tempting fate in some way....I'm not exactly ready for it to happen just yet, so I don't want to announce how I want to go or what I want done with my leftover bits when I'm gone.

But, being the curious cat that I am, I wondered what everyone else's thoughts on this are. Is there somewhere special you'd like your ashes cast? Would you prefer to be buried? Would you like a huge wake, or are you more the sedate ceremony kinda person?

How do you want to go and what do you think you'd be remembered for?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for cremation too...seems so unnatural to be doing all that embalming and cutting and pasting and stuff.

12:11 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Cremated for sure. I don't care much for where my ashes go, because my ashes really do not represent me. I've teased hubby that I'd like an urn with my picture on it, then I want him to set it by the bed even after he remarries. [insert evil laugh here].

How I go? Based on my Hospice experiences, I could give a HUGE list of how I don't want to go. Of course, going peacefully in my sleep sounds good.

What do I want to be remembered for? Being kind, and being a source of comfort for the people that I care about.

Yours in death,
RG
*snort*

12:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A small graveside ceremony, then a little party - not exactly a wake, but no crying either. I want to be cremated - it seems more tidy and elegant. At one time I had a spot picked out for scattering my ashes, in the Sierras south of Lake Tahoe, or in the Cascades near Mount Adams. Now I'm undecided about that. After all, dead is dead, and it really doesn't matter. With my luck my kids will accidentally knock over my urn, then I'll get vacuumed and put out with the trash!

My mom always said she wanted to be cremated - "I don't want the worms eating me!"

2:35 am  
Blogger SJ said...

Cremation.

I'd like to go as an old man getting head from Kirsten Dunst's 18 year old grand daughter, but I think we all know I'm going to keel over writing a blog post one day.

Can't see me being remembered for anything. Except maybe for singing Ghostbusters at karaoke...

7:34 am  
Blogger Randygirl said...

Mine's been officially written up instructions since I did my Will, my DNR, my Durable Power of Attorney, etc, at the age of 17. So no wondering for my family, I didn't think it was fair.

I will be cremated, my ashes scattered into the Pacific Ocean, with no marker at any location...I don't want there to be a place to visit, as *I* won't be there to be visited. No organ donation, none of my parts would be acceptable because they don't really work right, lol. No funeral, only a brief memorial, in the home of a family member, with no services or speeches...just food and people chit-chatting.

How do I want to go? In a hospital where they are accustomed to dealing with the responsibilities and effects of death, instead of someplace where a loved one has to find me. Probably what will happen, too.

And I expect I'll only be remembered for about two generations, unless I get something published. That's alright with me. Billions of people have been wonderful and done fantastic things and only been known to their descendents. I'm loved while I'm alive...that's what matters to me.

11:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home