Friday, June 10, 2005

Tightrope walking

Funny how things can change literally overnight.

We were talking last night about an issue we've been trying to resolve for a little while now. The issue always becomes the secondary problem and the problem becomes that we just stop communicating properly and we end up in a big mess.

So last night he says, "well it doesn't matter anymore, because we're breaking up". Can't say I've ever been so blindsided before. At the same time, I'm surprised that I wasn't more....not sure what the word is....but I was strangely calm.

We talked about some stuff; what was bothering each of us. It's my opinion that the things that are issues now are only issues now (and are a culmination of a bunch of things that are all happening at once, making things seem worse than they probably really are) and once they've been dealt with (and obviously we need help addressing that), then we'll be fine. I think he agreed with that.

Prior to this, I'd already made an appointment to for us to see a counsellor tonight (can you say 'premonition'?), so we are going to talk things through with her.

It ended up ok last night. We sat together and watched Lost (yeah, we have screwed up priorities) and then talked a little more after that. In the middle of the night, he woke up and said he promised to try to make things work. He actually held me tighter and longer during the night than we have in a while. I have to say I was surprised...although I'm not sure why (and I know that doesn't make sense). Most nights we'll hold hands while we sleep, or I'll sleep on his shoulder, but it was more than that, which is reassuring in a way.

I'm a bit dazed, but I'm more ok than I would have anticipated. Things were ok when I left this morning. Hopefully talking with another person will help us get back on track.

Someone give me some words of wisdom?

10 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

I wish I could offer some words of wisdom for ya, but of course you've not shared what any of the problems have been specifically since you moved.

So I will simply send hugs and love, you know I want you to have the best.
xo

10:28 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yeah, I haven't said what the prob is, because it's slightly contentious to some people and I don't want to debate it (I'm tired enough as it is), but also because I haven't quite figured out if it's my issue or it's our issue.

10:34 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Those are scary words to hear. I'm not sure I'd be as put together if I'd of heard those words from Hubby.

I don't know what the 'issue' is, but it doesn't really matter. All issues are basically handled in the same way. Compromise, understanding and assurances.

I'm glad that you both agreed to see a counselor. That will put everything into perspective (assuming you have the right counselor.)

I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way girlie.

xoxoxo

12:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh E, even though you're feeling ok, feeling strong in the face of this, those words must have felt like a lead foot falling on your head. I believe people should never threaten to leave unless they've got a bag packed - it really makes the other feel unsafe in the relationship.

I'm sorry you're going through a rough period...seeing a counselor is a great idea. At the very least, you'll come out of it with insight about yourself.

Love and hugs...

11:36 pm  
Blogger Randygirl said...

It's approaching Monday for you now, which should mean you're back at a computer? Worrying about you out here in the OL world.

Continuing to send hugs and love, and hoping you're doing alright...

1:50 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Ok, blogger won't let me post for some reason, so I hope y'all read the comments too.

We're ok...good, in fact...strangely enough. Counselling was good and the weekend has been good. Yes, R, it's Monday night now, but we had a public holiday and we went away for the weekend (after football with Ian and my brother on Saturday night).

C says he regrets saying what he did and that he hopes I don't feel like we're on shaky ground (although he concedes that's easier said than done).

I'll post tomorrow if I can, but I'll be super busy at work, so I'm not sure if I'll have time.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I've got lots more to say about this and our weekend. Hopefully, I'll have more time soon.

Hugs to all,
E :-)

7:02 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

But what about the Llama...? :)

9:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

((((((E))))))

i didn't post before now, but i've been thinking about you.
i think you two have started out with a pretty solid foundation. with that, you are in good shape to work through whatever it is that troubles you.

i'm glad to hear you're in a better place. your relationship is definitely worth the effort.

xoxo
~Anonymous G

8:27 am  
Blogger Randygirl said...

....~tiptoes in stealthily~...
psst!
....
tap, tap, tap...

HUGS n LOVE n ALL GOOD THINGS to YOU MY DEAR FRIEND!!!!

....~tiptoes quietly back out again~....

2:43 pm  
Blogger monica said...

Holy cow, I leave for the weekend, and what happens???

Well E, hope things really are looking up. I know you've been burning the candle at both ends and worried about other-than-relationship stuff...

You're in my thoughts!

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home