Sunday, May 15, 2005

Would you buy a car from this girl?

I made a spur of the moment phone call on Friday afternoon, about a job. I didn’t get a chance to call during the day, so I had to call from my car on the way home. It was for a position as a car salesperson. I know, I know….but I’m up for anything right now. The call went really well and although the guy had already seen everyone he wanted to, he asked me to come in to talk to him on Saturday morning.

I really don’t know why, but I was really nervous before the appointment. Maybe because I was completely out of my comfort zone. Once we started talking I was much more relaxed. We talked for about 45 minutes and it went really well.

Here are the positives:

  • It’s less than 10 minutes from home, in fact, even closer than C’s work, and on the same street.
  • I get to sleep in for an hour more than I do now and get home around the same time.
  • After 3 months I’d get a new car and all my petrol paid.
  • I could sell my car and get $12K, which would come in handy.
  • I could end up making about $20K more than I do now within a year.
  • The team there seem really nice and they’re very much into working together and not being seen as/behaving like “typical sales people”.
  • They have a really good training program, which would give me good, transferable sales skills.

Here are the negatives:

  • For the first three months I’d be on traineeship wages, which is just about nothing, with no commissions.
  • The hours are long – Mon-Fri 8.30-6, Sat 8.30-5, with one day off every second week.
  • I’d have no Saturdays off.
  • I’d have minimal time for gym.
  • Working Saturdays will seriously cut into social/lifestyle time.
  • Lack of $$ for the first three months is going to seriously affect our finances, but we’d be ok.
The guy is going to call me back tomorrow about whether or not they want me back for a second interview. From what he told me about the other applicants and what he thought about me, I have a good chance.

I’ve been thinking I should just ask my work to pay out my annual leave so I have some cash, and ask them if I can take 2-3 months off without pay for personal reasons (R, remember I had that grand plan to travel to …. last year? I was thinking of letting that start as a rumour lol). At least then I’d have a backup if it didn’t work out, although part of me thinks if I have a backup I might rely on it and I don’t want to do that.

I don’t know what to do though. What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

Interesting... personally, I'm not sure I could do sales, but the $$ and short commute would also cause me to consider it. Why not try it?

3:31 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Hmmm, but I must warn you against commission based jobs. Some of them are not what they seem...

3:57 pm  
Blogger Randygirl said...

After the training is through, could you live on your base pay? As in, if you hit a slump and couldn't sell anything, if you got sick (knock wood) and had to take some time off at just the sick pay/vacation pay rate, if the whole place just had a downturn and no one was buying...no commission, would you still be ok? Or would you have to scrape and scrimp?

Health coverage?

I don't see reasons outside the financial and the insurance not to take it, and if you can swing both of those....of course, I couldn't work a 5 day week now that I've been working 4/10s so long, so I don't know about a 6 day.

You ever tell C about that idea? Think of the farewell send-off your current work would give you if they thought that was what you were doing! lolol

1:33 am  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

I'm with Monica (i got your new name there) - the short commute and money would be great.. but i couldn't do sales.. i don't know why but unless i owned it or tried it out, i really would struggle to sell anyone anything. and even then, i'd have to agree if they thought it cost too much. LOL

hugs
anne

6:16 am  
Blogger monica said...

lol... I keep forgetting that when you change the name, they all change...

10:12 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

R, I'd probably have to scrimp, but then again, I'd have them paying for a car and petrol, so that'd be a big help...and I'd sell my car too, so I'd have some cash in reserves.

As for the insurance bit, I have private health insurance, so that's not a concern. Most companies here don't offer insurance like in the states - everyone has the option of taking it out privately, but even if you don't, emergency hospitalisation and public hospitals are free here.

1:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home