Wednesday, March 09, 2005

a volte la migliore musica è silenzio

I know when I'm sick - really sick. I can't listen to music. At all. If I'm just feeling a little unwell, I can generally have the music on and sometimes turned up loud, even with a headache. Go figure, it's a bit like an addiction, so even if it makes me sometimes feel worse, I have to have it. The more sick I am, the less music I can handle, but if I have a cold, or I'm just a little under the weather, I'll still sing along. It's a compulsion and I can't help it. I need music to be playing all the time.

Yesterday I was sick. Really sick. No music sick. I've spoken on here before about the fumes that sometimes come through the airconditioning here at work. We've had sewerage smells, diesel fuel smells and gas smells on numerous occasions. Yesterday, they gassed us again.

No, I still don't know who they is, because everyone kept buck passing and changing the source of where they thought the gas was coming from. No, they didn't gas us on purpose.

We got headaches. We got nausea. We got light-headed. My heart rate went up like you wouldn't believe.....not good when you have a problem with your heart to begin with.

In the beginning, nobody did anything about it. The crazy thing is, we don't even have a health and safety officer or anything of that nature. I got angry and wrote an email so it was all documented, since this was not the first time this had happened and I was not about to be sent to hospital in an ambulance again (although the last ambulance incident had nothing to do with getting gassed).

After a while, the smell dissipated somewhat ("open the windows for a while to let the air through") and things were ok. After lunch, more gas. This time they told us we could go wait outside ("oh yay, thanks!"). The only reason we got evacuated was because a class full of students was being affected and they needed evacuating, so they thought it might be a good idea to get us out of our office for a while too.

By this time I was worried about how I was going to get home, since it's a long drive and I was dizzy, lightheaded and feeling sick, so after they let us back into our office, I packed up and said I was going home.

Once I got home, I got as far as the lounge, and fell asleep. I didn't even hear C come home from work.

This happened yesterday. It's now lunchtime and not one word from anyone about why it happened, who is responsible, or assurances that it won't happen again. I'm thinking an anonymous call to WorkSafe wouldn't go astray....

3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

"They" have a lot to answer for...

And they're all out to get us...

5:54 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:54 pm  
Blogger monica said...

You should MOST DEFINITELY report the sewage smells and log when they occur, etc.

That is serious stuff... I forget what kind of gas it is that sewage gives off, but in higher concentrations you can't smell it... and that's where it hits the toxic level.

Sad, but true- living conditions on a ship would be considered inadequate in one of our prisons (in terms of overcrowding, # hrs work, etc). But if there's a sewage smell anywhere on a ship, we get everyone out of there, pronto, even if it means pulling people out of the rack.

7:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home