Thursday, November 18, 2004

Damn firewalls and paranoia

I was living a blissful, peaceful internet existence until this week. I was bypassing our regular firewall at work, able to go where I please, do what I like, and chat to whomever was available.

Enter the control freaks - 'oops, we might get a virus from someone surfing the net, or chatting' - even though we have high end virus protection and FTP is blocked, so I have to revert back to the regular firewall. Not to mention, the idea of a firewall is to stop people getting into a domain, not to stop people getting out.

Goodbye chat, hello problems. For a start, we've got this thing called Sonar that tracks everywhere we go on line. We have to log in once we browse outside of our domain and then keep that browser window open all day, otherwise we have to keep entering our name and password for every new site and every link we click. Can anybody say the words, "pain in the arse"?

Next, I can't use Mozilla to view blogs. I just get blank pages, even with the upgrade from the Beta version. I can't use Mozilla to read iVillage message boards. In fact, about all I can do now is view regular sites like cnn et al, and check my webmail. Yahoo mail no longer works on my Mozilla. Better still, Yahoo mail won't even load properly on IE ("yes, we know there's a problem loading Yahoo" Huh?!). It just displays as text and I get no graphics. iVillage works fine (thankfully).

The problem with me having to go back to using IE is that IE was a problem for me to begin with, which is why I switched to Mozilla in the first place. I was getting all sorts of adware crap and IE was doing stupid things like not allowing me to view source code and things like that. I'm geeky. I need that kinda stuff.

So now I have a minimum of three browser windows open at once. I can't even view my own blog properly. I can see my posts, but I can't see my sidebar at all from work.

A happy me is a productive me. I truly don't get much work done when I'm restricted like this. Give me more freedom, allow me to do my own thing, and I'll get my work done and I'll be productive. Clip my wings and I'll spend most of my time trying to figure out how to get around it.

Meanwhile, I am such a good girlfriend, and since I'm in no mood to work right now, I'll post about it separately.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bradley Robb said...

When I was at West Point, we were on one of the fastest networks in the world. Seriously, I maxed out a fast ethernet connection, but we also had the "pleasure" of having our internet regulated by "Web Sense"... which is how I came into the knowledge of running anonymous IP addresses through the goverment firewall.

I don't know if it'll help with your works firewall, but you might want to give http://www.anonymizer.com/ a whirl.

-Brad

Yes, that is pretty much the extent of my hacking post high school.

4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home