Thursday, November 18, 2004

Birthday surprises 101

Today is the boy's birthday. I deliberated for a long time as to what to do for him. It's only been a month, so couldn't be too big. On the other hand, we're practically cohabiting, I have a set of keys to his house, I drive his car (albeit frustrating because all the gadgets are on the opposite side to mine and it's hard to get used to) and it's all very serious, so couldn't be too small.

He told me not to spend a lot of money. Two issues here. First, I don't have a lot right now, so that's not a problem. Second, even though I really dislike anything celebratory to do with myself, I tend to go all out for people I care about.

He collects 'stuff'. Tickets from places he's been, movie tickets and brochures, theatre programs, cards, letters, etc. So I bought him an artist book so he can put things in it.

I also bought him a cake, a dozen balloons, a big indoor plant and a couple of cards. But to give him all this was posing a problem, because he's on night shift this week. So I devised a plan that included me sending him off to work last night, driving up to his place and putting everything there so he'd see it when he got home this morning.

Of course, something always goes awry. As he arrived at my place to take me on a picnic, my girlfriend from Brisbane, who I haven't seen for two years, called to say she was down here for one night and one day. I couldn't tell C I couldn't go on the picnic with him and I couldn't tell her that I couldn't see her. All the while wondering how I was going to get my whole surprise to work.

I went on the picnic with C, then called Nic when I got home and explained that if she wanted to see me, I was in the middle of a surprise birthday idea, so she'd have to be a co-conspirator. I picked her up and we took everything to C's place, I put the key in the door and she noted the house alarm. Ok, so I hadn't figured on that, so I had to call the boy to find out the code.

Turns out the stupid thing wasn't on, so I gave away part of my plan unnecessarily. At least he still didn't know what I was going to do.

He got home at 0615 to a hallway lined with balloons, a big damn potplant on his kitchen bench, the scrapbook all wrapped up on his bed, a cake in the fridge (which looks like I made it, but I didn't), and post-it notes all over his house in odd places, which should take him a while to find.

At 0620 I got this message: "And I thought it was going to be flamenco dancing lessons. I can add best ever present to best ever first date. Thanks my love. :-D"

I sooo rock as a girlfriend!!

1 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

Awwww! :D

8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home