Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Relationships are expensive

Pre-Chris, I don't think I ate very much. I know I bought sandwiches for lunch, hot chips on a Friday, for $2.20. I know I bought 3-pack frozen vegies that cost $3 - and lasts three nights. I occasionally had toast and a cup of tea for dinner. Sometimes, two minute noodles bought at the last minute from the corner store. I never had any food in my house. People fed me when I turned up (usually pre-planned for meal times), because they've been to my house often enough to know my cupboard is bare and my fridge contains milk that's past the use-by date.

Dr Fun-Killer put a stop to most of that, and forced me to buy real food - meat, vegies, eggs, cheese. So off I went to the supermarket and bought the minimum of everything that I could - one piece of meat, one piece of chicken, my 3-pack vegies, a bag of nuts - enough that I was doing all that Dr Fun-Killer expected of me, but not really going out of my way in a major way. Besides, real food costs a lot of money and I haven't had much of that lately (meanwhile, Dr F-K is getting rich!).

Just as I'm getting used to the taste of real food on a frequent basis, along comes Chris. Coincidentally, he likes real food too. Who knew other people bought all those things that fill the aisles in the supermarket? I can't imagine anyone would want to buy some of those things, but people must, because I've seen them in their pantries. Chris has some of those things too. Sauces, flours, different kinds of rice, herbs and spices, thing that go in the fridge that I never knew were things of sustenance.

To my surprise, I have some of those things now too. In fact, I have gone out of my way to get them. But worse yet, I'm finding myself buying twice as much as I need - just in case. I can no longer buy one piece of meat. I have to buy two or four. I can no longer buy one 3-pack of vegies. We might need them at his place, so I buy extra. I have started buying fresh milk, not long life. I buy two types of tea, twice as much salad, bigger packs of chicken - in flavours I've never bought before.

And once I meet his son, I'll be thinking what to buy for him as well. I doubt Chris would want to torture the poor kid by making him have all the plain things we eat (although if he wanted to torture him, all he'd have to do would be make him drink apple cider vinegar and be done with it). This means the range of food type substances is going to increase yet again. I suspect I'll have to travel up aisles in the supermarket that I haven't ventured up in a long time. Aisles with bottles of things in a variety of unnatural colours and flavours, and become a professional in all things chocolate and icecream-like, once more.

Apart from the fact that I've realised I now work solely to keep Dr F-K living a great lifestyle and to keep two fridges stocked, I'm finding I'm very comfortable (surprisingly so) with the domesticity of a serious relationship. Hard to believe, when only a matter of weeks ago, I was just getting used to the idea of keeping my options open and the only commitment I had was to remember to feed my cats on a regular basis.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas...one less cat-lady in the world. Who am I going to commiserate with when I'm 80?

I'm happy for you. :)

6:22 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Thanks Sandy! :-)

EJ, got your story and I really liked it (and related to it in a disconcerting way LOL). Funny how things are so similar for us right now. :-)

9:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home