Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Ugly Stepsisters

Happy birthday to two of my sisters this week.

My eldest sister reminded me, although I knew anyway. I haven't heard from K (almost 45, the eldest) for at least a year. She surfaces when she wants money or pity, or both. K is a strange person. She can be lovely. She'll buy expensive gifts for birthdays etc, but I am always inclined to feel the gestures are empty and/or shrouded in guilt for something that she's done to upset prior to that event. She's highly intelligent, but I joke that she uses her powers for evil, instead of good. She's always scamming someone. Mum thinks she just has awfully bad luck and gets into situations that aren't her fault. She's still making excuses for her behaviour.

I believe K has serious mental issues. Sometimes, it's almost as if she has no conscience at all. She can do horrid things that (have) cost us (me, mum, my brother, for example) money or emotional stress, then a short while later, ring and talk to you as if it's all love and rainbows and warm fuzzy stuff. She almost has a split personality. She's a hypocondriac. If you hurt your toe, she needs her foot amputated. And it goes the opposite way as well. I remember I was considering a long time ago to study psychology. Next thing, K rang one day and said, "Oh, I'm going to (uni or somewhere) to study psychology. You were going to do that, weren't you?" All innocent, but with a sense of "you failed, but now I'm going to live your dream", even though it was my choice not to go to uni.

Whenever K rings, she never says, "Hi, how you doing?". She just launches straight into what she wants. Like today. I haven't heard from her, like I said, in over a year. As I picked up the phone, it was noisy on the other end and I couldn't hear clearly, so I wasn't sure it was her.

Her: "Quick, write down this number, before I forget."
Me: "Sorry?"
Her: "2584. Write it down."
Me: "Is that you, K?"
Her: "Yes."
Me: "Oh, ok, hi. How are you? I'm fine. Thanks for asking."
Her: "Oh yeah, hi, yeah, ok. Listen, my phone's busted and I can't read the screen. What's mum's number?"
Me: "Mum's mobile?"
Her: "Yes."
Me: (give her the number)
Her: "Is it hot there? It's damn hot here."
Me: "Yes, it's hot." (I have no idea where she is. I don't ask.)
Her: "You know it's R and G's birthdays this week?"
Me: "Yes."
Her: "Well, if you're talking to them..."
Me: "I won't be. I don't know where they live or their numbers."
Her: "Oh ok, well thanks. I have to get back to work."
Me: "Ok. Bye"

I suspect she called me at work because last time she called my brother, he hung up on her. Mind you, she hadn't called him in ages as well, and she'd finally called at 7am on a Saturday morning and woke him up. He never found out what she wanted. She must have told mum, because mum asked my brother why he hung up on her. He said the phone disconnected. It's just easier that way.

I'm sure I'll get a call from my mother, reminding me about the birthdays too.

C asked me the other day if I was going to call them and extend an olive branch. I told him, no. I put in enough effort that was not reciprocated years ago. I'm sorry, but if they haven't been able to ask one single time how I'm doing, or what's going on in my life in the last 8 or so years, I don't think I'm obliged to ring long distance to wish them well on their birthdays.

Funny, my three closest girlfriends are my sisters' ages. THEY are my real sisters. The ones who know me, who've been there for me and always will be. They're the ones I ring to wish a happy birthday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Well, I'd certainly say don't say "sorry" that you're not going to call them. Just because they were born to a same parent doesn't mean they're truly "family". Family are the ones who care and treat you with respect and concern. Sounds like it's your girlfriends that deserve the love and birthday calls.
And if I know you, those girl friends get those calls, and right on time, every time.
hugs,
R

5:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home