Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Sometimes, I should take my own advice

I posted this on a message board to a girl whose long distance love broke up with her, without reason, it seems. I'm putting it here as a reminder to myself as well.

I spent 13 months working on things with James. As you know, I'm here in Melbourne. He (was) just outside of Reno, NV. He loved me. I know he did. In his own way. And it's kinda surreal to be able to say you're in love with someone you haven't met and who lives half a world away. But it happens.

My story is a long one, so I won't go into detail. But I flew to NV to see him at Christmas time. I knew before I got on the plane that he wouldn't show, but I went anyway (for lots of reasons).

It sucked. It hurt. I felt stupid. But I turned it around. It made me realise that, yes, it's ok to allow yourself to be vulnerable and to take a risk. It's ok to have a belief or a faith in something that you don't know how it's going to unfold. It's ok for it not to work out in the end. And in the end, I/you/we will be ok, whatever happens.

It showed me that I'm a much stronger person than I thought I was. I mean, seriously, who'd get into a relationship like that if they weren't strong enough to cope? It puts things in perspective, and you learn things about yourself and about love and about life that you'd never otherwise learn had you not gone through it.

Be proud that you took the chance, not sad that it didn't work out. You will have your chance at love again. Have a little faith and realise it's not about you, but about him and what he was not able to provide.

You will heal. Trust me on that one. You will be ok.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home