Saturday, December 09, 2006

Where there's smoke...

...there's fire. Lots of it! You should be able to see the Melbourne Cricket Ground in this photo.

I've been thinking of words to describe what the city looks like today and I can't find one that explains not only what it looks like, but what it feels like, too. It's just surreal. I drove to the shopping centre at about 10.30am this morning and had to put my lights on, because visibility was that bad. And it's hot today. Soooo hot! It reached 37.8C (just over 100F). Tomorrow is expected to be the same.

There's bushfires and there's bushfires. This one ain't a picnic and it's almost hard to comprehend the magnitude. To think that there have been only one or two worse, in history, kinda puts it in perspective. Here's just one article.

Check out the photos from The Age online. And these. I was surprised that the smoke had reached the city so soon. I shouldn't have been though. Hot, north winds helped it along. I'm more surprised that the smoke has crossed the Tasman and is almost reaching the northern part of Tasmania.

6 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

I couldn't believe it when I went outside today. Everywhere smelled of smoke, and I couldn't see the city from where I catch the tram - everything was just shrouded in grey mist.

And yes - the heat - dude it's been killing me all day... :(

9:47 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I woke up at 5.30am (go figure, since I've been eating healthy I sleep less, but better) and opened the back door. I got pissed off coz I could smell smoke and thought someone was ignoring the total fire ban. Then I realised it was THE fire. I've had my house shut up all day to keep the smoke/smell out.

We're definitely hanging out at the freezer section of the supermarket tomorrow!

10:13 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

I just heard on the news that tomorrow is going to be even hotter :(

11:28 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

I could handle the heat if the fires weren't a concern. I feel bad for everyone in the thick of it.

11:34 pm  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

ahhh that's tough! We went through that with the fires in Montana a few years back lots of smoke and ashed covered everything.

11:46 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yeah, LOTS of smoke. The heat and the particles in the air are making it pretty stifling outside.

Victoria....snow one day, bush fires the next...

10:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home