Monday, April 11, 2005

Mousecapades - part 2 (The Finale)

Howdy folks! Sorry to have alarmed some of you with my absence (has it been that long??), but here I am! Thanks for the emails too. I do appreciate them. :-)

I'll update more later, but for now, I'll just relay the outcome of my mousecapades story.

As I left it, the mouse had disappeared and all was quiet once more. The next morning, I got out of bed, stumbled through the house in the dark, and went to open the sliding doors to the back patio, to let the cats outside. As I did so, Commando Mouse (who had camouflaged himself to appear like the top of the blinds), leapt at me, out of the darkness. I let out another scream and the cats chased it behind the fridge. Good, I thought, he's pinned in their and one of my fearless felines will get him in good time.

Back in the bedroom, C asked me what the squeal was about. I told him the mouse tried to attack me again, but it was cornered behind the fridge. "Never fear", he says, from the comfort of the bed, "I'll get it when I get up".

Of course, Commando Mouse, being fully trained in house infiltration, had disappeared again by the time the boy got out of bed. And I thought that was the end of it...

A few days later, I noticed a funny smell in the laundry, where I keep the cats' food and litter. Mousey evidence! So I moved a few things, but couldn't find the evil critter. The next day, I got up early and went into the laundry to feed the cats. I picked up their box of food and poured some into their bowls.

The box felt funny. How my brain went off on the next train of thought, I have no idea. The box was about empty, so it was light, but as I tipped it, something slid from one side to the other. "Oh", I thought, "they must be having a competition and there's something in the bottom of the box!" It didn't occur to me that I hadn't noticed it before.

I lifted the box closer to my face to see if I could see inside, but there was no prize. There was only Commando Mouse, who, again, leapt out at me and ran under the cats' water bowl. In the time it took me to compose myself and check under the bowl, he'd vanished again. C thinks he was just doing a Mission Impossible move, and he was really holding himself flat under the bowl when I picked it up, so I wouldn't see him.

I cannot believe I have two cats in the house and for at least a week, they let a mouse backstroke around in their food box, like he was staying at the Ritz!

I got my revenge though. C bought two mouse traps. We put one near the fridge and one near the cat food - the last two places he was seen. Some time, in the middle of the night, I heard the snap. "Could it really be?", I thought to myself. Sure enough, there he was, my evil foe and nemesis for the past couple of weeks, gone to the big commando mouse training camp in the sky.

C never actually saw the mouse and doesn't believe it ever existed, but it did.

It was a tough battle, but I finally won!

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

You're a real life Mouseketeer!

7:04 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yep, don't mess with me baby! Hey, can we bring games next week? I'll bring Mouse Trap. hehehe

10:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home