Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Don't mess with my lunch, dude!

Following an unpleasant visit to a Subway store today, I did one of the things I do best...sent a pissed off letter. Ok, so sending pissed off letters isn't something I do all the time, but since I'm better at letters than phone calls, they're my favoured form of communication when it comes to dealing with stupidity in the retail sector.

Hi, I have a big complaint about the service at the Hawthorn store in Victoria, Australia. I've gone there often, and they've always skimped on salads and given the most minimal of everything possible, but today took the cake.

I asked for a 12" Italian sub and was given one with herbs on (which I only noticed when I got back to work) - not the one I asked for.

I asked for swiss cheese. This appeared to be all stuck together and the girl was having trouble getting the pieces apart - so much so that they started breaking and another girl took over by grabbing the cheese from her and trying to pull it apart herself. Finally, she managed to slap a few broken pieces on the bread.

I asked for meatballs and was given barely enough to cover the bread. When I asked for some more, the girl asked one of the guys there to pass some sauce. I said I didn't want sauce, but I wanted more meatballs. She proceeded to pour so much sauce on the bread, I thought I'd need a straw. I asked again for more meatballs.

She told me she'd give me one more, which she did and said that she'd given me the number of meatballs they were required to put on the bread. Then she told me that I would normally be charged for this, to which I replied I'd never been charged for that request in any other Subway store I'd been to (and I frequently visit 3 other Subways in my area, which, incidentally, have always put a decent amount of salad
and meatballs each time I've been).


If she had asked me if I minded to pay extra for more, and how much would I like, I would have willingly paid for the extra. Instead, she took on a bitchy attitude and offered me one more meatball with an attitude that I should have been thankful for that.

She passed the sub onto a guy to do the salads and I requested lettuce, tomato and cucumber. The cucumber is cut so thin that you can see through it and it literally disintegrates when you pick it up. I was given half a dozen pieces like that....barely enough to make one normal slice of cucumber at any other Subway store I've been to.

I'm disgusted by the petty attitudes, penny pinching policy for putting the bare minimum on the sub, and overall lack of pleasant customer service. Subway advertisements spout that you can create your own sub....but when you ask for what you want, you're met with a CAN'T do attitude.

A number of my coworkers and I (used to) regularly go to Subway in Hawthorn, but I doubt we'll be purchasing from them again. It's a good thing McDonalds is a few doors down and they now have healthy salads. We'll be going there in future.

And I was being nice.

3 Comments:

Blogger SJ said...

You tell 'em, girl!

2:34 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

LOL you have no idea how fuming I was! I was starving and I really was not impressed with getting a messed up lunch!

I've gotta write an equally unpleasant letter to Target too, for breach of the Trade Practices Act. Will have to post that one as well. *evil grin*

2:49 pm  
Blogger Randygirl said...

Sunday when I was on my way back from the ER, my mom went through drivethru at McDonald's (which, I don't really eat fast food at all, but made an exception) to get me some chicken and a soda.

Didn't find out till I got home and she'd left that the soda machine needed to be changed, it was that nasty soda water that you get when there's no syrup? Gross. And a waste of money!

Ah, letter writing. Best way to get coupons, lol.

5:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home