Wednesday, December 15, 2004

A cop out?

I have been trying to think what to get my mum and dad for Christmas. Usually, I take the easy option and order a hamper on line and send them one each. But I don't have that much money this year...especially now that I have to buy C and his son presents as well...and I suspect I may have to get C's immediate family something small as well, since we'll be staying with them over Christmas.

Anyway, I was thinking of just getting a copy of the picture of me that's on my blog and putting it in a frame for each of them (although C says that photo doesn't look like me and it's false advertising haha). Really, I dislike giving photos of myself. But maybe they'd like it since, I haven't seen dad for eons and I last saw mum in March and that was only for two days.

I dunno. Is that a cop out? I don't normally do presents, but I should get something for them....shouldn't I?

Should I get something for C's family? Maybe get something together with C? I should just ask him.

This present giving stuff is bloody hard work!

6 Comments:

Blogger grrltraveler said...

I think the photo idea is a good one, if you are feeling like you MUST give them something.

I don't actually exchange gifts with my family, unless we spend the holidays together. I don't feel inclined to give them anything and they aren't getting me anything either. I don't think you need to give yours anything either but that's just me.

In the case of C's parents, well.. i'd probably get them something.. Even just as a 'thanks for having me stay' sort of thing. A bottle of wine (if they drink it) or even flowers. I'm sure some other people will give you better ideas than that... thinking of things to buy has never been my strong suit! LOL

hugs,
a

11:27 am  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

I've been getting pissy all day thinking about the same stuff. My family is easy. We do a gift draw amongst the parents and siblings (and my boys). Although "Santa" does visit my boys..with cash. Ho ho ho.

Hubby's family.. a bit different. Hubby is still procrasinating this and it's driving me completely insane. He thinks we'll get it all done on Saturday and THEN have time to attend a party in the evening.

I'm crabby about this whole thing. Oh, and I agree with "A". ;)

12:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say toss em a bottle of wine if you've never met them but you're going to dinner at their place. If you're staying for a few days, it's a really good idea to bring something for under the tree - I've been caught emptyhanded like 3 times by parents of boyfriends - kinda embarassing...in the case of parents, you could find out what they like doing together and get them a pretty or practical book on the subject (example: local weekend get-aways, drinking wine, or home improvement).

10:07 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Heidi, I love that new photo of you on your blog! Actually, I thought the original one was great too.

10:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg...I just thought of another inexpensive parent-gift. How about a CD of tasteful Xmas-themed music in a genre they like - like blues or jazz...nothin too cheesy ya know.

11:08 am  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Hmmm, music might be a good option, actually. They're ex ballroom dancing champions/teachers, so that could go over well. I've met them a few times now and they're pretty cool. I know they won't expect anything, but still, I'd like to do something small. Ugh..how easy it is to be nice to someone else's family!!

11:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home