Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I've been challenged!

I started talking to (emailing) this guy, Chris from match.com on Saturday - well he contacted me. So he invited me on a date for tomorrow night, specifically (as described in some flyer he has):

Stretch your vocal chords at Federation Square every night of the Festival by Last year's Festival showed that anyone can dance. The Festival invites you to find your voice. For 17 nights Federation Square echoes with laughter, singing and weird and wonderful noises made by the voice and it's completely FREE every night.

First of all, I'm not sure how I feel about making a total dork of myself with someone on a first date. Nothing like making a lasting first impression! Second, he's laid down an additional challenge:

When we meet, we introduce ourselves, and find our way to the space where the action is, but we don't talk! No small talk.... none of the awkward first questions... we just check each other out. And we have to do just that.... so no looking aimlessly around checking out the other spunky guys... see how long we can last until the singing starts, then all bets are off !!

Ok, I think I'm fine with making a fool of myself. I'm good at that. However, I'm a girl and I just don't know if I can not talk for however long it takes between us meeting and the 'stuff' beginning. If anything, I can see myself getting that stupid uncontrollable giggle thing happening that starts when you're nervous, because if I can't talk, the nerves are gonna have to come out somehow!

I'm excited. I know it could all crash and burn and I don't want to be too excited, because of the way the whole Ed thing crashed and burned. I swear I did my best to scare the guy off. I told him all my hangups, insecurities, health problems and anything else I could think of to make him run. Next thing I know, he's inviting me on a date. LOL So this may be interesting.

But things get more interesting. On the same day, another guy, Steve contacted me on match.com. He lives in Darwin. (R, you will laugh your butt off, but I only just found out he's an Aries too!!) Now, for those who don't know, Melbourne is almost as south as you can get in AU and Darwin is as north as you can get. It's not like he's around the corner. But he's keen - overwhelmingly so. Like I did with Chris, I told him every possible horror story about me in an attempt to see how fast he'd run. And like Chris, it just seems to have made him more keen. LOL

Things could get very interesting soon!

Meanwhile, I have a challenge to psych myself up for! Oh well, if he's as attractive as his pics, at least I'll have a valid excuse just to stare!

11 Comments:

Blogger Rob Burton said...

Beware sounds like a control freak to me - very scary take off the rose tinted specs or at least carry a large Colt 45 and I don't mean that crap drink from the 70's! Or a least a poisonous lizard...(don't know how you'd get him to lick it tho...working on it!

7:44 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

??? Why do you say that? Just sounds like fun to me.

7:49 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

He wants to meet you but not talk to you. He wants to stare at you but not get to know you. I think we all know what *he* wants!

8:36 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Hhmmmmm...ok....well here's the rest of the email...well most of it....

Now I have a bit more to ask about tomorrow, so I'll explain what I think we should do, and we'll see what you think? By the way I haven't done the following before.... it's not like a "thing I do" or anything. I just think it would be fun, different and interesting.

When we meet, we introduce ourselves, and find our way to the space where the action is, but we don't talk! No small talk.... none of the awkward first questions... we just check each other out. And we have to do just that.... so no looking aimlessly around checking out the other spunky guys... see how long we can last until the singing starts, then all bets are off !!

So what do you think? Good idea or no?

And if we can still stand the site of each other after the event I should like to take you to a cafe for a bite to eat. Probably somewhere off Little Collins.

Now what do you think??

8:44 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

Hey I should really say things like above - I can't comment about the guy, I don't know him. He may be really nice. Maybe he's just trying to do something different for you. Good luck with it. Little Collins Street has some nice cafes. And at least he isn't asking you about sodomy like the last guy...

8:50 pm  
Blogger Rob Burton said...

He sound's like he's got it all worked out he not ask you your preferences? and don't you think contact Saturday - date Thursday is a bit quick, I did some internet dating and I had to chat to most women on the phone for about two weeks before I met them (sorry I'm sounding like your dad)

Include a large cattle prod in your bag too

8:51 pm  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Actually, I was the one who said I'd rather get off the net sooner than later to see if we get on in real life, than build up some sort of friendship over time on line and find out it doesn't match up in real life at a later date.

So his suggestion to meet up was I guess in response to my preference to get off line quickly. As far as him deciding what to do, I kinda like that. I'm tired of guys who ask you out then when you say to do what, they'll go, I dunno. If it was something I was totally opposed to, I would have said so.

But I like that you guys are looking out for me, so thanks. :-)

8:59 pm  
Blogger SJ said...

We are the Angel and Devil on your shoulders. I'm the Angel, obviously...

9:03 pm  
Blogger Rob Burton said...

im more like the devil's dad 'no you don't want to do it like that, do it like this'

9:25 pm  
Blogger Randygirl said...

How funny that the guys are warning you to step off, tells you how differently men and women think, huh?
Cuz I'm thinking: He's got a plan! He asked for a date with a specific plan in mind that did not involve dinner and a movie! Plus, it's a plan in which he can't control the atmosphere, thus controlling just how cool and suave he will look.
And, hehehe, if things were to work out it would be a good story for the future. Not like me, I can't tell most people about my first date with B hahaha.
Oh, and, um, B and I talked the first time on a Saturday. We went out Sunday night. >blush< I'm breaking all the dating rules, aren't I?
hugs,
R
oh yeah, ps....I really did actually laugh out loud when I saw that Mr Darwin is an aries, too. I told B an abbreviated version of the guys currently in the running...he's pulling for Chris. Doesn't like the one in Darwin. I wonder what I said to make that happen?

3:45 am  
Blogger live-on-the-weeki said...

He sound like he could be a player, but I say go for it. I have met some great guy off the internet. SOme that turned out as only 1 date and others that have become wonderful great friends and one to be a serious relationship. Good luck, enjoy yourself and be yourself. Have a great evening.

11:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home